Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry to bother but I'm having problems installing XP Pro and someone suggested I upgrade my BIOS software.

I've got a Abit AB-BX6 but not sure which to use.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/moth...?pMODEL_NAME=BX6&fMTYPE=Slot 1&pPRODINFO=BIOS

The problem is that I can't seem to install XP right after the 'Copying Files' then reboot stage. I've managed to get Win98 on there.

Is it risky to do the BIOS upgrade?

Should I just use the latest one? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm....really?

Do you mean bad stick of DIMM?

I've managed to install Win98 now though.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
That board does have issues with Windows 2000, hence it would almost certainly have issues with XP as well.

All the updates are for the same board, they are just different updates. You only need the latest update which is the first from the top.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, cheers. Wish me luck! Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It could be bad ram. The same problem I had, I also managed to install 98 and everything was working. Only, when you shut down the computer with windows 98, it would randomly blue screen when it gets to the "It is safe to shut down" screen. Other then that everything was fine. I removed the memory, put in new memory and was able to install XP no problem. Once installed, I put the old memory back in, and XP would freeze during start up.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply, Ash. Hmm....Guess I'll try removing RAM *sigh* I hate problems like this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm....no good. My 256MB one's in there now. Gonna try a different one. :(

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again, no good. *cries*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status