Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just caught this on Oprah Winfrey. I never watch it but my wife does and this caught my attention.

Bill Cosby is on some mission to make parents, especially black parents, take responsibility for the kids they create but fail to raise properly.

He first made a controversial speech some four years ago, which I missed entirely, but his mission ties in very nicely with a thread I started some time ago here titled something like "What's with kids and attitudes these days?".

Do any of you know of his campaign?

Any comments?

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
51,023 Posts
I just caught this on Oprah Winfrey. I never watch it but my wife does and this caught my attention.

Bill Cosby is on some mission to make parents, especially black parents, take responsibility for the kids they create but fail to raise properly.

He first made a controversial speech some four years ago, which I missed entirely, but his mission ties in very nicely with a thread I started some time ago here titled something like "What's with kids and attitudes these days?".

Do any of you know of his campaign?

Any comments?
Yes--I've seen him speak on it a number of times and he deserves a huge round of applause. He's take a lot of criticism from folks like Linksy and Xico and liberals in general beause he is trying to tell the black community they are largely responsible for their own problems and they need to correct their own problems (as oppossed to blaming it on racism). Now if you are white and you say that--you will be labled a "racist" by the liberals.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
I don't know about this kids thing, but I heard him mention some years back that things in the black community were bad, because of the black community itself, not being responsible. Notably he singled out black on black crime and murder, and seemed really angry about the "hypocracy" of it -- I think that was how he described it.

He seemed deeply concerned, and firmly grounded on the issues and causes, and focused on meaningful solutions -- and self-responsibility above all.

I thought he was right when I heard it. This sounds right again now. Good for him.

·
Banned
27,339 Posts
I don't know about this kids thing, but I heard him mention some years back that things in the black community were bad, because of the black community itself, not being responsible. Notably he singled out black on black crime and murder, and seemed really angry about the "hypocracy" of it -- I think that was how he described it.

He seemed deeply concerned, and firmly grounded on the issues and causes, and focused on meaningful solutions -- and self-responsibility above all.

I thought he was right when I heard it. This sounds right again now. Good for him.
He has been speaking out for several years. Unfortunately it appears to be taken negatively in the black community in general. Instead the Sharptons and the Jacksons get all the air play.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now if you are white and you say that--you will be labled a "racist" by the liberals.
Exactly Chris! Some years ago I mentioned immigrants complaining here and using their minority status as a crutch, such as they weren't arrested because they broke the law but because the cops were racists. A member here accused me of being racists! I remember that member being a PC apoligist. :rolleyes:

And didn't Cosby's son die in some stupid street scene gone wrong? He has every reason to campaign for some sanity in out cities.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just answered my own question:

Cosby married his wife Camille in 1964, and the couple had five children, Erika Ranee, Erinn Chalene, Ensa Camille, Evin Harrah and Ennis William. Tragically, in 1997 Ennis was shot to death while changing a flat tire on the side of a Los Angeles freeway .

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
He has been speaking out for several years. Unfortunately it appears to be taken negatively in the black community in general. Instead the Sharptons and the Jacksons get all the air play.
Yeah, I think I remember that too.

He wasn't as "politic" about his message as Jackson or Sharpton, nor as manipulative, much more hard-hitting and straight talking.

I thought it took guts and admired it.

·
Banned
27,339 Posts
Yeah, I think I remember that too.

He wasn't as "politic" about his message as Jackson or Sharpton, nor as manipulative, much more hard-hitting and straight talking.

I thought it took guts and admired it.
I admire him for it too.

I was hoping his message would have some traction and get a new dialog going.

Nothing is so simple though and old habits are hard to break.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I admire him too.

He has taken a lot of flack from the black community but there are people coming out to support him! :up:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi gb.

I am well aware of "trudeaumania: and it's affects on the Canadian political landscape but I am wondering what it has to do with Cosby and dilinquent kids? :confused:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Hi gb.

I am well aware of "trudeaumania: and it's affects on the Canadian political landscape but I am wondering what it has to do with Cosby and dilinquent kids? :confused:
Relates to the Canadian PC crowd and your immigrant story which, arguably, had its seeds in the Trudeau lead era. Comparable to the current PC-think of the American liberal and the always forgiving the black community for its own created transgressions.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Relates to the Canadian PC crowd and your immigrant story which, arguably, had its seeds in the Trudeau lead era. Comparable to the current PC-think of the American liberal and the always forgiving the black community for its own created transgressions.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, Trudeau initiated the official policy of "multiculturalism", in which any person could come here and not feel a need to assimilate into Canadian culture. That was the most grievous single blow to Canadian society that I can think of.

But I still don't know what it has to do with minority bad boys! :confused:

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Comparable to the current PC-think of the American liberal and the always forgiving the black community for its own created transgressions.
Yes, Trudeau initiated the official policy of "multiculturalism", in which any person could come here and not feel a need to assimilate into Canadian culture.

Multiculturalism is nothing more then a PC justification for not having to assimilate into the dominate culture. Cosby is advocating that the minority bad boys (as you call them), in essence, are rejecting the dominate culture (Yo ******) by engaging in aberrant and criminal actions. He of course points out who is responsible for such behavior and that's what gets him into trouble.

BTW, linsky will stop by shortly and accuse us of being racists because all black Americans suffered through centuries of slavery. Its his standard response.

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Yes, Trudeau initiated the official policy of "multiculturalism", in which any person could come here and not feel a need to assimilate into Canadian culture. That was the most grievous single blow to Canadian society that I can think of.

Um........... wasn't Trudeau a liberal? tisk...tisk...

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Um........... wasn't Trudeau a liberal? tisk...tisk...
Get it right! He was a "flaming Fascist Liberal" according to LAN! :rolleyes:

:p

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Get it right! He was a "flaming Fascist Liberal" according to LAN! :rolleyes:

:p
Don't know about "flaming", he seemed to attract some fine looking women.

BTW Pyrite....I thought of you while reading about a book that I thought you might enjoy: "The Pythagorean Theorem" by Eli Maor. The Greeks, according to the author, would not understand our concept of the theory.

·
Banned
27,339 Posts
GB said:
BTW, linsky will stop by shortly and accuse us of being racists because all black Americans suffered through centuries of slavery. Its his standard response.
Yup

Anybody want to guess how long it will take?

Have not seen his retorts in days.

Think his head is still stuck his................. :eek:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts