Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a issue on a computer and i think its virus related but haven't found any info on it. when I go to printers you know usually you have the windows imaging printer but all I have is add printer. If I try to add printer it doesn't do anything.

Using a dell optiplex machine with windows xp sp2 on a network.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Go to Start, run and type: services.msc.

Scroll down to "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and verify it shows "Started" and Startup type is "Automatic" If not, double click the entry and set the type to automatic and start the service.

Next scroll to "Print Spooler" and verify it shows "Started" and Startup type is "Automatic" If not, double click the entry and set the type to automatic and start the service.

Then see if you can add a printer. Also a question, has this computer ever had a Lexmark printer connected to it?

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
you logged on as admin?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
What happens if you actually add a printer?

Edit: I should read the whole post.... grrrrr

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
is this a stand-alone machine, or is it on a domain?

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Did you check to see if there is a Group Policy setting for "Prevent additiion of printers"? Look in Group Policy Editor under User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Printers.

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
only time I've ever seen that screen blanked out was with permission priveliges on a domain, which led me to ask if it was on a domain.

Now, is it a work pc or a home pc?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is a work pc on our domain. Just to be clear when I go to start > settings > printers the only option is add printer. If I double click on it nothing happens. Logged in as admin and also tried user who has admin rights and same thing happens. Nothing in event viewer that describe printing. I also checked group policy and the "Prevent addition of printers" is not configured.

·
Super Moderator
79,318 Posts
personally, I'd contact your IT department. If they don't want that pc to have printers for whatever reason, it's their choice. I don't think I can offer any more assistance, as I work in an IT department, and if I found that my users were trying to bypass rules set in place, there would be problems. :)

thanks for understanding.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.