Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, my computer was having issues with it's USB ports. For some reason they decided to stop working. I came to these forums and was recommended to set the BIOS back to default settings. I set it back to optimzed default settings and everything was working fine until now...

I was playing Vanguard: Saga of Heroes beta and I was recording it with Fraps. Out of nowhere, my screen started freaking out; Blue, pink, purple, orange, and other colors started flashing and distorting the screen. I figured it was due to the fact that I'm playing beta and didn't worry too much.

Here's the problem though: When the colors started appearing, about 50 seconds later my computer turned off (didn't close programs or anything just completely turned off like power'd been removed). When I reloaded the computer, Windows gave me a message saying "Windows has recovered from a serious issue."

Ever since then, I've been having problems with my monitor switching from digital to analog. After switching between those two modes for about 15 seconds it stops working and routinely flashes the green power light. No image shows when the computer is on; I have to unplug and replug chords for about 20 minutes every time I turn the computer on from a long period of being off.

Once I got it to work, I put my BIOS on fail-safe default settings. On that mode my USB ports decided not to work again. I restarted, changed BIOS back to optimized defaults, and now my monitor and USB mouse worked again.

The problem is: I have to go through that 30 minute routine every single time I want to use my computer after it has been off for a while. Is it a video card problem, a mobo problem, or a monitor problem and is there anything I can do to fix it without buying replacements?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :(

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I doubt it's a monitor or video problem, hard to imagine how they kill the USB ports.

I'd be looking at the MB, P/S, or memory. I guess a good start would be to run one of these memory tests overnight, ANY errors are cause for concern.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.