Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was running at about 12 mbps then suddenly it dropped to 24 kbps. From cable speed to less than dial up in a matter of minutes! I use Optimum Online cable service LAN connection on Windows XP. We tried everything we could think of to fix it. First I ran spyware, virus, and registry checks to see if I got anything nasty. Nothing. Tried basic stuff like deleting temp files, cookies, history. Didn't work. So after that we tried calling the ISP and they said we got flagged for using up too much bandwidth but they said they'd have it fixed by the morning. 2 days later, same slow speed. So we called again and they walked us through some solutions, none of which worked, most of which we already tried. They told us our ethernet cable might be malfunctioning so I bought a new one this morning and it didn't help a single bit. I tried system restoring to a few days before the internet stopped working, but it said the restore could not be completed. I'm out of ideas for fixing this problem except reformatting, or taking it in to be repaired, neither of which I'm too crazy about doing. So it'd be a big help if I could get a detailed walkthrough maybe, I don't really know how do any diagnostics to see how it should be functioning and how it is. Anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
daz1 said:
sounds as though it is your isp as you may be above your expected download limit,try updating modem,often updates for these can be found,could try optimizer like
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php,when u run it make sure you select the modem u use for internet and opt for optimize,re boot
Alright thanks I'll try that. How do I know what my download limit is though? And if I did exceed it when do I get to start over with a new limit?

Edit: On the link, it said file not found.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update! I reformatted my computer not knowing what else I could do and it didn't work! Connection is just barely any better! Still incredibly slow! I don't know what to do!

I also have a DPC2100 Series Cable Modem if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
There are four main areas where the problem could lie: connection between ISP and modem, modem, ethernet cable and your computer. You've checked (replaced) the cable.

It would be helpful if you could try another computer (have a friend with a laptop?) or another modem or try your computer on another connection.

If the modem belongs to the cable company tell them what you've done on your end (cable and computer) and ask them to come check or replace the modem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.