Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm setting up a home network with two WinXP Pro machines. My wife is an avid digital photographer, so we're loaded with photos. Similarly, we've got a lot of music online.

What is the easiest way to create one shared location that both of us can access? I don't want to have to deal with synchronizing between two machines and all of that. I just want to have one location with all of the pics and music on it, and have both of us able to access it (full r/w) at all times.

Suggestions?

Steve

·
Registered
394 Posts
Battisti:

Just put all your pics in a folder (it could be on your desktop), and make sure it's "shared". To do that, right-click the folder and put a dot on the "share" option.

However, bear in mind that if the PC where your pictures are stored goes down for the count, you lose them all, along with everything else, unless you're backed-up. The best way to back-up is to use the MS "Briefcase" utility and have the pictures on two machine---with this unbelievably easy & simple way to keep them synchronized. I've used Briefcase for years, not just for pictures, but for everything. Oddly, I've never talked to anybody that has taken advantage of this amazing resource. I had a total crash of one of my PC's a while back, and I didn't lose a thing. If you're interested in setting up Briefcase, put in a post and I'll walk you through it. It's a little confusing to set up, but once that's done, it's a breeze to maintain.

pjblevin

·
Registered
453 Posts
battisti,

Are your 2 PCs currently networked together? I don't think the solution recommended by pjblevin will work unless your systems are set up for Windows peer-to-peer networking.

If your PCs are not currently networked, lets look at this from a hardware perspective first. If you plan to also connect both systems to the Internet via a broadband connection, then you should get a home router. If not, then a hub or switch will meet your needs. You'll also need an Ethernet connection for each PC so if your systems don't already have this, you need to purchase an Ethernet adapter. If these are desktop systems, you'll likely want a PCI based Ethernet Adapter.

Once you decide on the hardware, you can come back here for help with setting up Windows (and perhaps the router). :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Ok, saw your other post, and essentially they are the same problem. In other words if you get one fixed, you'll have a fix for both.

Therefore, I recommend that you close this item and focus on the other since that one seems to be further along in terms of resolution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.