Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am also new to Linux, but will make it a learning eperience. I already know how to navigate UNIX and such, so I have some skills..but not much. So nothing like Slackware would be for me yet..just nothing that requires to much work with the shell..suggestions?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
linuxphile said:
I've come to like Fedora Core myself. The latest version, 4, includes MySQL 4, Apache 2 and PHP 5. With that said, you can also use XAMPP, from Apache Friends on just about any distribution.
Thanks, I have a copy of Fedora here I was going to install awhile back..just haven't gotten around to that quite yet. I believe its Fedora Core 2, they came out with another one didn't they?

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like Slackware . You can do a clean install and have Apache, MySQL, and PHP, and iptables (firewall) configured and running in under an hour.

·
Registered
153 Posts
tdi: maybe if you have prior knowledge. I know i sure as hell wouldnt wanna be setting that up on slack even now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Im not talking from a technical ability view point, I'm talking about from an effort factor view point. Every time you install ANYTHING on slackware you get 8 dependencies which each have an average of 4 more dependencies, which then have 6 more.. i can keep going...

i'm just saying doing it under slack, unless u already knew what u did and didnt need i dont think u could have everything setup in an hour.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I agree that compiling software on slack can be a pain but remember it is not meant to be a distro that runs bleeding edge software. It's meant to be stable, and secure. That is why version 10.1 still runs a 2.4 kernel.

If you want bleeding edge, or a desktop distro, get Ubuntu or something. But for servers, it's either slack, or a bsd.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.