Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Is there an out and out winner in the cpu air cooling market? I've read loads of reviews but most of them are out of date and i can't be sure if they're still valid. When i say winner i mean soley performance wise as i really don't have an issue with noise at all certainly not if it's noise v's performance. I will go for performance everytime. So what currently is the best, performing, cpu, air cooler? Thanks Max.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
HUH? With today's Core2 and AMD-64 AM2 systems - their temps are usually in the 40s (c) and allow a level of overclocking with STOCK cooling fans.

So only extreme overclocking on older systems tend to need high-tech $30~75 cooling systems. AIR-FLOW of the case is an important factor as well. So if you have a $50 cooler and a $25 case - you can easily have WORSE cooling than a stock CPU cooler in a $60~100+ case.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Complier.......I agree with what you have said but a very efficient cpu cooler can't help and i know there are coolers which are in the short list of the best eg Zalman cnps9700, Tuniq Tower 120, Sythe Infinity but which is the best. Ps i do not have a problem with cooling but am currntly trying to get the best oc possible. I have a x6800 and Zalman cnps9500 at. my cpu temps are currently 26c idle But the before mentioned coolers are suppoesed to out perform mine by a distance. Thanks Max.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You wont go wrong with any of those.
Yeah i thinks you're right but since the reviews i could find all seemed outdated i just wanted to make sure there were'nt any others blazing the trail. The cooler i have now is certainly a good one as you'll see by my idle temps but for extreme ocing it just falls out of that short list i was talking about. Any further suggestions or advice are welcomed. Cheers Max.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
I have the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro for my X2 3800+. Performance wise it is up there with the ones listed above. I bought it primarily because I wanted performance and to silence my PC as much as possible. CPU core runs in low 30s.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Arctic Freezer 64 Pro for my X2 3800+. Performance wise it is up there with the ones listed above. I bought it primarily because I wanted performance and to silence my PC as much as possible. CPU core runs in low 30s.
Thanks Frank, I'm off to check that one out.:)

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
maxibhoy said:
Thanks Frank, I'm off to check that one out.:)
If you decide to go with it, be warned the fan has rubber mounts that can break if you aren't careful during installation. There is nothing wrong with it, just don't let a 800 pound gorilla install it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
maxibhoy said:
Complier.......I agree with what you have said but a very efficient cpu cooler can't help and i know there are coolers which are in the short list of the best eg Zalman cnps9700, Tuniq Tower 120, Sythe Infinity but which is the best. Ps i do not have a problem with cooling but am currntly trying to get the best oc possible. I have a x6800 and Zalman cnps9500 at. my cpu temps are currently 26c idle But the before mentioned coolers are suppoesed to out perform mine by a distance. Thanks Max.
Well - that was the key, OC or not.... ;)

Keep in mind that there is a limit to the OC that no amount of cooling will work. They tend to top out at 3.5~3.7Ghz. Its not just the CPU thats involved - as the 6300 overclocks better than the X6800 and the new 4000 is already turning heads. (pay $160 for a CPU & OC to near $900 CPU performance)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/11/core-2-duo-overtakes-core-2-extreme/index.html

Try any of those coolers the other posters have discussed. But curious, how much have you already OC'd your CPU? 26c is extremely cool already, thats not even warm. When you say the OTHERS are supposed to be better, how much?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i was a bit dubious about the 26c which my bios reads a lot so after getting intel tat the temps read their 33c cpu0, 31c cpu1 idle also under load with orthos for 30mins @ stock it reads 48c cpu0, 46c cpu1 and @ 3.46ghz oc idle cpu0 40c, cpu1 37c. and under load @ 3.46ghz cpu 0 58-59c, cpu1 57c. I've only got her to 3.71ghz so far stable but this is a very new system (3days) and there'e plenty more configs to try.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
There we go...

Also, from what I hear of practice - don't run at MAX overclock for a while - build up to it - get the hardware "used" to running at OC speed for a week. With that much overclock and LOAD temps - ya need a new cooler... When does Throttledown start on C2D CPUs? About 60~70c?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really don't know where the throttle down is but i think this will be a pretty high number. I actally ordered the Tuniq Tower 120 earlier today (get it Tue) So hopefully this will be better for me. Just hope it fits lol.:)

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
The Arctic Freezer 64 Pro is about the best you'll get with Air cooling. Any more and you might as well go with water, peltier, or both.

If your using a AMD cpu, you can cool it down a bit just by enabling cool and quiet.

How to enable "cool and quiet" = http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/128

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.