Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i got this new game Battlefield 2142 and when i play it my computer skips. The skipping only happens when i try and play single player but when i try and play multiplayer (over the internet) my screen goes completely black then says on an error bubble that my Grafics card is failing. I dont see how my card could be failing when its only been used for about a year. The card is a Radeon 9250. Any help anyone could give would b very helpful.:)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
What exactly does the error message say?

Your graphics card is not supported by that game, which probably explains the skipping. However, depending on what the error message says exactly, the fan on your video card could be failing, so the card might be overheating.

Download the latest drivers for your card from www.ati.com, and let us know what the error message says. However, don't expect the game to work that well, because your card is not supported.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
John987 said:
The card is a Radeon 9250. Any help anyone could give would b very helpful.:)
That card is not enough to run that game properly. 2142 is a beast of a game, and needs some decent components to run well.

Your best bet to solve the problem is to upgrade your card to something a bit more powerful. Is the card an AGP-style card, or PCI? Let us know and we should be able to pick a reasonably priced upgrade that will give you a much better experience with that game. :up:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the 9250 Radeon myself, and had to upgrade to the x1600Pro, which is AGP, to run it fairly well. Its probably not failing, but just hasn't got the speed and memory it needs to run the game properly. My brother has a Nvidia 7800 (i think), which is PCI-Express, and runs it pretty well. Other factors may include upping the RAM you have, and your internet connection. Some stuttering occurs for me even with 1 Gig. My brother has 2 Gigs. My internet connection is 1.5 and I have a higher ping than most, and on a lot of servers I have lag and stuttering. My brother has 4.0 mbps cable so he has a low ping and no stuttering occurs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey jones, i have the same problem, i got a radeon 9250, which is AGP, it works for BF:vietnam but not for BF2 and i assume not BF:2142 either, so if u got any suggestions to another resonably priced card that i could afford :) o also i have 512 ram so i dont think the ram would be much of a problem, unless u know some options with getting more ram, that would be cool 2 :) thanks

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Well, for BF2 and 2142, 1gb of RAM is HIGHLY recommended. It could be contributing to your problems.

As for your video card, I'd recommend something like an nVidia 6800xt or 7600GT (if you can affor it).

The 6800XT card by XFX works well with BF2 and 2142 (it's the card I have) and they are very reasonably priced:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150157

·
Registered
197 Posts
You will want at minimum, 1 gig of RAM to play both BF2 and 2142. 2142 really needs 2 Gig's to run best, however. I have 1 Gig but it still stutters a lot, so I will be upgrading to 2 soon. As for cards, the suggested ones probably will work, unless you want to run video on higher settings.\

ps. Sorry jones, I know thats addressed to you, just thought since I answered earlier, I'd add in my 2 cents. ;)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The 9250 is not listed in the supported video cards list. However my 7600GT isn't listed either and i play the game fine.

Honestly though.... At most with a 9250 all you can expect to get is choppy game play. The games that are being released nowadays need some serious hardware to run them smoothly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.