Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an e-mail today from a person in my address book that had two attachments. I added this person to my address book about 2 years ago (work related along with about 20 other names) and this person and I have never sent e-mails to each other before. This is on my home p.c. At home I use Yahoo e-mail and the first attachment had the "bagle" virus. Luckly Yahoo scans for virus b4 allowing me to open attachments. I haven't asked this person yet if they sent me two attachments today because I'm pretty sure they did not. BTW I didn't try to open the second attachment, just deleted the e-mail entirely.

So,finally, my question: Could someone outside of my address book use an address in my book to send me these attachments?
I don't want to bother this person about all this if the above is possible.

And if so, how could I avoid this in the future?
I know I can set Yahoo to only accept e-mails from people in my address book, but I don't want to do that if possible because I give out my e-mail a lot and don't really want the restrictions.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Yes, the new viruses "spoof" address from infected machines. I am getting viruses from people I know have never e-mailed me before, therefore, they wouldn't have my address. Somewhere along the way, someone had your address in their addressbook, got infected and then the virus spoofed someone else's address and sent it to you. So you can have a totally protcted machine, but someone else who doesn't can cause your address to be used. The only solution is to drink heavily and hide under your bed.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the "solution":D
Its getting harder and harder to know which e-mails are safe to open these days:(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.