Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VPR Matrix computer that's about 4 years old, running XP. It's basically a kit computer that Best Buy sold for a few years, with components from a bunch of different manufacturers (I don't know the cpu or mobo mfgr., though...). It's always worked great, but over the last few months, any time I would unplug it, I wouldn't be able to power it up: I would press the power button, and nothing happened - no fan spin up or anything. The only sign of any life was that the green LED on the mobo would be lit up. But I would unplug and replug cables, as well as the mobo battery, and eventually I'd get it to turn on again.

But not this time. I still have the green light on the mobo, and I still get absolutely no response when I try to turn it on, only this time, no amount of re-jiggering will fix it. I suspect very strongly that the problem is my power supply (it's a Dynex 400w, so it was obviously a little inadequate from the beginning). I actually hope the problem IS my power supply, because that's relatively easy and relatively inexpensive to fix; however, I don't want to buy a new one and go through the trouble of installing it if that's not the problem. I don't have a multimeter or an extra power supply that I can try out. Is there any other way that anybody can suggest that I can ascertain whether it's my power supply that's bad, or something else (like my cpu or mobo)? If it's the power supply, obviously I'll just replace it and move on. If it's something else, though, I'll probably just scrap it and get a new computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks!

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
Your troubleshooting will be limited by lack of spare parts but try these:

Move the CMOS reset jumper to the reset position for a few seconds, then move it back. Try to start the PC. If it doesn't start, then:

Momentarily jumper the two motherboard pins where the power switch plugs in. If the computer starts, suspect bad power switch. If that doesn't work, then:

On the 20 or 24 pin connector where your power supply plugs in to the motherboard, you can jumper the green wire to one of the black wires. A bent paperclip works well for this. Observe what happens:

Doesn't power on anything (not even fans) - suspect bad power supply.

Powers on, but only for a few seconds - suspect bad power supply.

Powers on fans but the computer will not boot - suspect the motherboard or some other part. Also note if any other LEDs turn on, any beeps, and keyboard LEDs.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Did you replace the power cord from the power source to the pc? Check all the connections.It could be the power switch that you press to turn on, If you have a reset switch in the front panel you could switch the power switch with that as a test.Other than that the only other test would be to replace the power supply with the same wattage or greater.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
9,126 Posts
phatmanjg, you posted on another forum two weeks ago that this happened after a lightening storm. So suspect the PSU or motherboard, or both. The above will help you sort it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Frank4d,

Yes, I did post on another forum a few weeks ago, and that was one of the aforementioned times when I was actually successful at getting it to power up by unplugging and replugging things. This time, however, it actually appears to be dead for real.

Everybody's suggestions sound great; I'll give all of that stuff a try. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Frank 4d,

Your suggestion about using a paperclip to short the green to black wire on the 20-pin connector powered the computer up. There were no unusual beeps, and it powers up and stays on. The front LED does not turn on, and nothing shows up on the monitor either, so I suspect it's not booting properly (or at all). Can you, or anyone else, hazard a guess as to what the problem might be? I'm assuming this means that it's probably not the power supply...

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
If by powering up and staying on means that fans are spinnig and the opticcal drive drawer opens and closes, then No this does not mean that the Power supply is not bad. However given the history of the beginning of the problem There could also be damage to the Motherboard, which is a frequent occurance when lightening or a blown power supply is involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, just to add to it: what happens is that I get fan (but only the PSU fan; not any other fans) and hard disk spin up, and the LEDs on my optical drive light up. The front LED, keyboard LED, mouse, and monitor all remain dead.

Is that any more help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, one more thing. And this is the strangest of all. Since I last posted, my computer has been sitting on the desk in front of me. I had plugged everything back in while I was messing with it. I hadn't been in near it in about 15 minutes; I was sitting here on the couch. And it booted! By itself! And I mean completely booted; everything on, everything working.

Obviously, this doesn't solve my problem, because clearly, there's something very wrong. But does this give anybody else any ideas about what the problem might be?

Thanks again for all your help, everybody; it's been very useful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay one more update (and I promise this is the last one; I'll wait for a response after this one).

While it was on, I (obviously) backed up the few things on my hard drive that I hadn't already backed up. And then I thought I'd test it out, so I shut it down. And once again, now when I press the power button, absolutely nothing happens. Does this sound like it could be something as simple as the power switch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shorting a couple of the power switch pins did start up the computer. Then, it went into hibernation, and shorting the power switch pins no longer does anything. Any other thoughts?
Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.