Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My question here is probably a candidate for more than one group but I’ll keep it here for now.

My problem is this. I’m trying to make a DVD of photos that will play in a DVD player but the results have been less than stellar. I have hi-res jpegs to use. If I make a slideshow with Show it Web or iPhoto (or any other slideshow generating program for that matter), the images look fantastic on the computer screen in the slideshow presentation. When I put them into a DVD presentation however, the final result looks like crap on the computer and even worse on the TV. The images are fuzzy and any text (flattened layer in Photoshop) that might be on the image is broken and jagged. I’m using iDVD to make the disc on an intel iMac (but I’ve used Pinnacle Studio 8 on a PC too). I’ve tried adding the images as a slideshow as well as converting the images to a Quicktime movie. No matter what I try, the final project on the computer looks stellar but burning the project to DVD or DVD image turns everything to junk with an extreme soft focus look with crappy looking text. Any ideas? Is it a codec issue? I’m beside myself here.

Thanks much

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
Its a restriction of the DVD format in that all hi-res images have to be resized to no more than 720 pixels in the horizontal plane and no more than 480 or ~576 in the vertical plane to comply with DVD standards. There also can be bitrate issues leading to further degredation but file format restriction is the major culprit. You can kind of get around that problem somewhat if you have software that can apply the "Ken Burns" effect where the slideshow image is panned but of course only a portion of the image can be shown at any one time though it is of higher resolution.

So yes, in a way it is a codec issue but unfortunately, you're stuck with it.

·
Super Moderator
74,137 Posts
As fairnooks mentioned, you are limited to a maximum Video DVD resolution of 720x480 for NTSC video standards in the USA and some other parts of the world and 720x576 for PAL that is used in some other parts of the world. Short of to creating Hi-Def DVDs that will only work on a Blueray player connected to an HD Display, you are stuck with those maximum video resolutions.

You might try reducing the resolution of the pictures in Photoshop, and then try to sharpen them up a bit. Then add your text overlay. The end result may be a slightly better looking picture and readable text as compared to having the DVD authoring software scale down the high resolution captioned photos.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both. That gives me a good place to start. My images are 2300 x XXXX and I was relying on the software to downscale them appropriately. I can live with smaller images on the playable DVD and include higher res images as the Quicktime or flash slideshow.

Have a great weekend.

Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.