Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm just having a bad hair day, but I'm irritated.

Quite some time ago I went out and tracked down this eyeball avatar, adjusted it for this site, and began using it...now someone's swiped it and is using it here...and as far as I've seen, I was the only one with it on this forum.

Sort of like Joe2cool's "running man" (even though the rest of us see a hockey player), it is sort of affiliated with him....

Am I just being pissy or would it be better forum etiquette to go out and find one's own avatar...

MBN

·
Banned
44,930 Posts
Hi MustBNuts :)

This is the first time I've seen your avatar, and I must say I think it's pretty cool.

Sorry to hear someone else has copied your efforts. Have you asked them about it?
Maybe it's a coincidence?
I haven't heard of any rules about this, but it does seem to be poor form to copy anothers efforts without asking first.

Oddlly, no one compliments me on mine :D

Jack

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
I guess it isn't copyrighted by you as you borrowed the eye itself from the net....so it seems fair game for someone else to use it even though you adjusted it. :) Ya think??? :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I know, but as Stoner said, just seems poor form...

no, it's not copyrighted, but it's irritating....I did make a comment to the effect that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but originality goes further"....

I know what the problem is, it's ISN'T that I got out on the wrong side of the bed this morning...it's that I got out of bed at all! :D

MBN

PS: Stoner, with a logon like yours, who needs a stinkin' avatar! ;)

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I think avatars become associated with a specific user. People should try and find a unique one, something that expresses a bit of themselves.

After I chose mine, I noticed that AbvAvgUser had one very similar to mine. He has been around longer than me, and most likely chose his long before I chose mine. It almost made me change mine. However, I came to the conclusion that his and mine were different enough that we would not be mistaken for each other. The fact that his and mine are similar is pure coincidence.

BTW, I notice that J2C has changed his. I'm going to miss that hockey player.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you mean RUNNING MAN!

And yeah, you're right, I sometimes recognize people's avatars before I even see their names...yours is different enough from AbvAvg's to make each distinctive...

MBN

·
82,160 Posts
Awww come on MBN.....get up and be happy!!! :) It's good to see you out of the tech forums and here in the land of....well.....random! :D :up:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks angelize, taking my chill pill as we speak....also posted the sadam hussein post here....

You're right, I don't get out of the tech forums often enough...

MBN

·
82,160 Posts
99.6% tech! :eek: :D Now that you're here you'll be hooked on random! :D :up: 99.6% random in no time!!! :D

·
82,160 Posts
Make her one Harry! :D

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually, I'm thinking of just using hewee's...that should really confuse everyone! :D

Hewee, just tweaked mine a bit with MBN....we'll see....

MBN

hmmmm, perhaps it needs a little work....MBN is still a bit too small...

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
MBN
Most times if someone uses someone elses Avatar the latest to add usually is not even aware of its use already.
They just found it on the net and thought it would make a great avatar much as you did.
You may want to politely PM that individual and let them know the avatar is already in use. If that doesn't work then there is little else that can be done.

Dave

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Davey, sound advice....I worked on the avatar so it would look right on this forum, it was a cut and paste....c'est la vie....yup, think that chill pill is kickin' in boys and girls :D !

It's just strange...cause when I saw it, I had the unusual sensation of ...gliding down a snow-capped mountain with the wind in my hair...oops, no, that was a Peppermint Patty ad....uhmmm, what was I saying....oh yeah, it was like someone stole my signature. Before you say anything, I know, it's not copyrighted, and I didn't design it, but ya know what I mean....

MBN

PS: Would like to formally thank the person in question for changing their avatar! A great big thank you to you, I DO appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mulder, Mulder, Mulder....

Your avatar says to me: "The world revolves around Mulder"....nothing new or original there - men have been suffering from that delusion since Adam & Eve! :eek: ;) :D

MBN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.