Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have seen mention of drive image or something like that that does this but I was wondering if it is possible to 'simply' copy the OS from drive C to say drive D where D is another partition on the original hard disc or a second hard disc.
I have tried in Win98SE to copy its drive C to a drive D and was apparently able to copy all but one file, the file that wouldnt copy was something like win386.swp. I am guessing this is some form of swap file, am I correct?
When I removed the hard disc containing C and set the disc containing "D" as primary master the machine wouldn't boot, can some one please explain why? Obviously the errant file might be something to do with it, I am reasonably sure I had made "D ", now C, active.
I think I have also tried under linux and logged in as root to copy the windows OS from one partition to another and there was some problem as well.
Oh I am not trying to duplicate OS's its just I hoped to find a way to back up the OS so that in the event of a crash I dont have to reinstall every thing which takes a wee bit of time when the cpu is a 233MMX.
I would also like to back up the Linux OS, mandrake 8.1 but I imagine that is a question for a linux board.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
norton ghost is what you need, it will make an exact copy of your drive as it is and can restore this when needed.
I use it myself and have an image of my OS office and a few essential programms I need

·
Registered
16,274 Posts
Drive image is what I use and its interface is much friendlier than norton ghost..You can back up your whole c drive to a D drive if you wish and it compresses the image as well to save on space in doing so..Then its only a matter of three or four mouse clicks to restore the image and about 15 minutes of waiting..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.