Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updating modem driver. Need to know exactly what procedures are involved in first backing up old or current driver on a floppy diskette. I currently see no way of backing up the driver as it is in my Add/Remove Panel in the Control Panel. Currently I have a Windows 98SE System Disk. Would this help in anyway. Please give some instructions for backing up this driver. Thanks for your time. :)

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hello Doc77,

Is your modem working correctly right now? If so, I would leave it alone and forget the update. Your current modem drivers can probably be found in Windows Explorer / Windows / INF / Other.

Good luck.

Spaceman

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is nothing technically wrong with the modem or the modem driver. It runs fine, but I'm getting a connection speed of only 26,400bps. I called my ISP and they gave me an additional modem string to install, and when I did I got much higher dial-up connection speeds of 38,000bps to 57,600bps. But when logged on at those higher speeds, I got a much slower modem. I called the ISP back to find out why I was getting higher connection speeds and slower overall modem movement, and they said that the particular modem driver that I have is outdated and that the modem with it's current driver could not process the data fast enough and it created a log jam where data is concerned causing the modem to go slower. They gave me a place where I could download the most current modem driver for that particular modem. I have PCTel's HSP56 MicroModem, and the information that my computer gives me regarding this modem driver is in the ATi3 slot, and it says 7.66-9k-01. Could someone give me some ideas as to how I could get a higher connection speed without slowing my modem, other than updating the driver. Also, I found a file called modem, would this be the actual file that I would back up before I attempt to update my modem driver? Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.