Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello once again,

This site has helped me solve many problems, so once again I call on the vast knowledge here to help again.

I have a Compaq 550mhz with 256mb of ram and a 20g hard drive, running win 98se. I have had many problems with this computer. Most due to overheating. I have added extra cooling and that seemed to help for a little while, until now.

I am an avid gamer, I love to play games on the computer, however if I try to play games on this computer it acts very weird.
For example, during a game of Age of Empires the other evening, my computer decided to just flash and Wham, the game screen was gone, the game was gone and my computer desktop screen was displayed. However my colors had been set to 256, when the screen flickered. I reset my desktop and immediately got a blue screen hang up.

I tried again and it happened again, however this time after the blue screen of death (fatal exception Oe has occurred at 0167:bff9dff) I was presented with a black screen with a small white box, mentioning an error in my run dll and something about a Trid_p3d. Drv.

This happenes whenever I am playing a game, and it is really getting old.

I have ad aware downloaded and I clean my system evey night. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
I'm not into gaming but I'll ask two questions that I'm sure anyone replying will want to know.

What CPU are you running and do you have it overclocked?

Have you made any "tweaks" to the PC?

BTW, the Trid___ error is associated with the video card drivers for your Trident card. Have you gone to the Compaq site and installed the most recent drivers for that video card?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bryan,

I am running a compaq 550 and I havent changed the clock speed. I havent made any tweaks, other then adding memory and dsl (ethernet card).

I will go and see if I have the updated drivers next.

Chris
Go Ravens!

·
Registered
12,090 Posts
Also run Dxdiag and see what it reports

Start>Run, key in dxdiag and press enter.

And on the first screen of Dxdiag, it shows you version number of DirectX. Post the version number to a reply here.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I slowed down the graphics like the article suggested. I have no clue how to go into Cmos and mess with the palette. I played the game this afternoon after changing teh graphics and it lasted longer, but it still did the same thing at the end. Can someone help me out here, or explain to me how to go into my Cmos and mess with my color palette.

Chris

·
Registered
12,105 Posts
You sure your overheating problems are gone???

Enter you bios, you should have an option pci/vga palette snoop, should be disabled, try enabling it.

to enter bios reboot, just as pc is booting up

Press F10 when square in top RH corner of screen= (Compaq).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian,

I entered the bios but couldnt find the palette option anywhere. I looked through all the options, and everything was enabled. I added an extra fan to cool down my comp, I think it helped with the overheating problems. I also downloaded rain. I'll wait for the next suggestion and keep plugging on

Thanks
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.