Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed AVG Anti Virus (free) version 7.5 on my pc that runs XP Home. I want to update when I choose to do so, not every time I log on. Does anyone know how to turn off auto update on this version of AVG? All help appreciated.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
The free version only gives you one auto update option. You set a time and if your comp isn't on at that time then it will update as soon as you log on. Personally I find it preferable to just update it myself daily (it's not really that much to remember)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've been using AVG (the paid, not the free version) for almost 4 years now. Mine lets me know that it's time to update by changing the four-color AVG icon in the system tray to a black-and-gray one. That only happens once a week, typically on Friday or Saturday. I then download the updates at my convenience, usually when I'm finished browsing but still connected.

With the free version, do you actually find updates any more often than once a week? If not, is there any point in checking for them daily?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
With the free version, do you actually find updates any more often than once a week? If not, is there any point in checking for them daily?
I think the notification area icon only changes if you miss critical updates (I could be wrong so don't quote me on that). AVG offers database updates daily (usually 2 small files) to free users, can't imagine paid users getting less .... give it a test and try manually updating once a day for a week, I'll bet you get updates on every attempt.

and yes it is worth updating daily, AVG doesn't offer the best heuristic detection out there, its strength is in its database so it is best to keep it as up to date as possible

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I have installed AVG Anti Virus (free) version 7.5 on my pc that runs XP Home. I want to update when I choose to do so, not every time I log on. Does anyone know how to turn off auto update on this version of AVG? All help appreciated.
Here is a step-by-step.. Right click the AVG icon and select 'AVG Control Center'.

Now selet (highlight) 'Scheduler'.

Click the 'Scheduled Tasks' button near the bottom of the window.

Next window, select (highlight) 'Update Planin Basic Mode'

Now click the 'Edit Schedule" button.

Next window. Uncheck 'Periodically check for internet updates'.

Click OK and close the rest of the windows.

As noted by others, it is important to keep your definitions updated, so don't forget to do it regularly.

Raybro

·
Registered
153 Posts
.... give it a test and try manually updating once a day for a week, I'll bet you get updates on every attempt.
Hey, you were right!

I've tried it twice so far. I couldn't distinguish how many files per update but the total file sizes were tiny, something like 50k and 25k respectively. The regular weekly update is usually at least half a meg, sometimes over a meg.

There's one small catch with doing it this way, though. When I update once a week in response to the icon going gray, I almost always end up with completely-installed updates, ready to continue. A couple of times a year AVG offers something bigger, called a "Recommended Update" instead of a "Priority Update", that requires rebooting to install completely. So far, though, both of these little between-times updates have required rebooting to install, and my icon's gone from colored to gray until I did reboot.

I don't particularly enjoy rebooting (and redialing), I've had very little virus trouble, and my system (Win 98SE, Firefox) doesn't sound like a virus writer's first choice of target. if I do continue checking for updates daily, I think I'll do it when I'm ready to shut down for the night.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
usually those daily updates are just database ones which you are right about them being tiny ...they shouldn't need a reboot. Occasionally you'll run across one that will but they are rare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.