Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I just need a little help here.......

I've got a gif that my friend Signature was kind enough to send to me, I just need step by step instructions on how I can use it as my new Avatar.
.....Yes, fine whatever, I'm stuck in the Stupid mode right now.

DS

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Go to 'user cp', choose 'edit options', then the change avatar button at the bottom of the page. At the bottom of the next page to appear you will see the optiojn to browse to the location of your new avatar and upload it.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't laugh I'm really stuck on stupid here..........

Okay I sent the .gif to my documents, but when I try to load it from there I get a message from the tech guy telling me that it cant do that and the max is 20000 bytes.

It should work, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

DS

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I have not done that.........

I was hoping I would not have to re-invent the wheel.

As long as I'm in the stupid mode (we can all enjoy the moment), but like in properties under the general tab it says 424 bytes (8192 bytes used) does that help?

DS

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
You aren't going to re-invent the wheel....I had to do the same thing with mine.....open photo program, save as .jpg file to the same location......and give it another shot......

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's 'cause you are a girl and you guys have patience, I'm a just a guy and we work different than you guys do.

I'm gonna have a beer now and then I'll MAN HANDLE the thing, Yeah see..... and what if I don't have a photo publisher program thingy? Then what? Another beer?

Will you just pleeeez make it so it just works for me?

·
Registered
13,844 Posts
Open it with a photo editor program, save as gif or jpg (one other is allowed I think) resize to to 50x50 pixels (most progs will let you select the whole image and put a handle or whatever on or around it so that you can hold the mouse button and move it to "drag it down.")
That should get your byte size and image (dimension) size down to spec. Check your file properties to make sure, I had to do it several times.
Save it again.
Upload (per instruction in User CP) your shiny new avatar.

Help you any?

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
If you don't have a photo editor prog, you should be able to convert it in MS Paint, or in an empty browser window using IExplore. Just drag it in there, File, Save As.

Gram

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm right here, two Heineken's later and feeling better as I open my third and last one.

Cheers,

DS

·
Registered
650 Posts
Oops. :eek:
This is my fault.
I got all creative and made Dark Star an animated gif, (my first).

I thought it would work here, but I made it way, way, way too big, and I don't know what to do about it, since I just began dabbling in such things a few days ago.

It's 50x40 pixels, (which was all I was concerned about at first, not knowing any better), but its properties tell me that it's 38.3KB(39,229 bytes) 40,960 bytes used.
And Dark Star says the properties are 424 bytes (8192 bytes used)???

Am I looking at the right properties, and is this gonna involve math?
If so, please pass the bottle opener - I'll have a Corona. :D

I hope AcaCandy can fix it with no trouble, but if it's too much, I can take it back to the "drawing" board, with helpful and much appreciated suggestions for making it smaller. :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks Ratboy.
Nice avatar, by the way. :)

I did remove a couple of frames that really weren't all that necessary.
And it helped.

I also messed about with different formats, and ended up with 1 jpeg and 22 bmp's all converted into an animated gif, instead of 23 gifs converted into an animated gif.
(That 1 jpeg just looked better than its bmp counterpart, for some reason.)

Altogether, it made a quite a difference.
The so-far finished product - (I may still play with it a little) - is not as smooth as the original, but it's a much smaller size, and it came out pretty good all-in-all, I think.

Next time I'll try to be more careful from the start, now that I understand a little more about it.
I've learned alot about what to do, and what not to do, and I can't wait to learn more. :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm happening now,........ Whoosh.

At this time I'd like to thank Angel, AcaCandy (I owe you at least a bottle of wine, and a large bottle of Tylenol. This girl has the patience of a Saint) RT (thanks for showing up and having a drink with us) Gram (I knew I could count on you) Ratboy (for all of your insight) and of course........ Signature (who created the avatar and would not give up on this)........... Let me see am I forgetting anyone? Oh yeah my Mom, Thank you all.

Whooosh....... Dark Star.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Just a thought,
When I chose my avatar, it was just one from those available on TSG, and obviously designed by someone else.
If I were to download the gif animator, could I also download my existing avatar and edit it?
If I was to design an entirely new one, is it easy to create the single gifs? Would I have to get a drawing package and draw each frame from scratch? Does the animator have effects like PowerPoint?

Not that I'm sick of my monkey, just that I'd like to be able to do my own without nicking someone elses pic.

Gram

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.