Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A non-profit group I work with from time to time has a Windows 98 SE system they use for office work. Their Intenet connection is by dial up. They use Outlook Express for e-mail. Over the weekends they get so much spam the ISP's server fills up and blocks any "real" e-mail. The ISP does not offer any type of spam filtering.

I think if we could automate the e-mail retrieval process over the weekend we could get around the problem. Of course the related problem is having to sift through a bunch of e-mail on Monday morning to get to the "real" e-mail. We're not opposed to using a filtering program if it could be automated (like Mailwasher Pro).

Can this be done? Is there a better solution?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This issue is solved. I set up a task in Task Manager which starts Outlook Express once a day, connects via dial-up access, and retrieves e-mail. The dial-up connection is set to disconnect after 5 minutes of no activity. The only grief is that Outlook Express doesn't shut down. I think we can live with that for the time being. If this doesn't do it, we can set up another task to execute every 12 hours or so.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.