Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I set it, so that computers will connect to others on the network automatically at start up, rather than having to manually log on to each?

PP

·
Registered
89 Posts
When you say connect to others do you mean accessing their files and folders?
If you do you need map network drives, if you go to "My Computer" it should be
under one of the menus there, I can't check at the moment because I use Linux.
Alternatively you can use the net use command in command prompt and set up a
batch file to run under the startup folder.

eg.
create a file called netfiles.bat
type:
net use K: \\computername\foldername

copy the netfiles.bat to the startup folder in the start menu

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I mean to access files etc.

Originally when a PC had to be restarted, whether for maintainance or a powercut for instance. When it was all booted up, software that required access to a database on another computer could get it automatically. Now because of some changes to some of the PC's, I have to go through my network and click on the computer required and enter a user name/password.

This is frustrating me now LOL

Which would be the best option?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that some of my PC's still do the right thing. And I've looked and looked to see what is different and I failed :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are the other PCs logging as different user accounts?
Is the computer automatically meant to open the database file or folder(where it resides)?

check the following path for files with an extension .bat or .vbs:
c:\documents and settings\"USERNAME"\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
c:\documents and settings\all users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you reply, on checking the three PC's that do "the right thing" there is nothing in any of those paths. Well except for things I expected of course.

Each PC has a program that requires access to, for want of a better term, a server where the main program and database resides. As I say 2 others connect without an issue. But the other 4 all need to have user names entered each time., even to access the main printer.

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I would say that to get help your first best option would be to specify what operating system(s) you are using. I'm guessing Win 2k Pro, XP Pro or some version of Vista, at least on the computers that request a user account/password.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Terry, most are Win2000, plus a couple of XP and a Vista.

The 3 PC's that behave correctly are Win2000, but then there are another 4 Win2000's that don't. humppffhh

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
I think, for Win 2k Pro, for PCa to remotely access files/printer on PCb w/o the user account/password prompt PCb must include the user account/password that is being used on PCa.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Yep, there is no "simple sharing" available for 2K, so you need to handle the account permissions properly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.