Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I'm planning on buying a new system.. However, I'm stuck on one part..
I want an Ultimate gaming system, but I'm not totally sure which would be better :
Pent 4 3 GHZ with Hyper Threading Technology
or
Athlon XP 64 3000 (or 3200?) with : Hyper Transport Technology or just FX (not sure if it's the same thing)

Anyways, I'm just curious which would get better performance..
I do plan (in time maybe) to over clock here and there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Definitly go with the Pentium chip. That Athlon chip runs wayyy too hot! Even with a kicck-*** video good, the Athlon wants to maintain processor power...Just my opinion of course!

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I second the motion for the P4.

1) 64 bit operating system is not out

2) no applications optimized to take full advantage of AMD's new chip.

3) Many applications/games are optimized for hyperthreading.

4) P4 is proven and stable technology. AMD's is not.

5) AMD is a great company but overall, I have found Intel products to have less problems.

This is one of those Ford VS Chevy questions. If you are the type who wants to overclock and squeeze every available ounce of performance out of your system and don't mind the cooling issues that come with that, then Athlon may be the way to go.

If instead you want a rock solid stable system with a minimum of fuss, go P4.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
19,786 Posts
Originally posted by cheapshot:
Definitly go with the Pentium chip. That Athlon chip runs wayyy too hot! Even with a kicck-*** video good, the Athlon wants to maintain processor power...Just my opinion of course!
Maybe you should look at the latest benchmarking. The newest P4's are consuming more power and putting out more heat then the newest AMD's.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I find Athlon's to be rock stable with minimum fuss. It's all our company uses... :)

Stability is more a issue with the programs and motherboard your useing.

As far as 64 bit apps, there are a few, and you have some protection that the PC will continue to be useful when 64bit becomes mainstream.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
I'm throwing in for the Athlon FX-53.

The thing is like $800 but it rocks. And as LwdSquash mentioned, the newest P4s are running hot. The stock AMD or Intel-supplied cooler will work fine for both in most cases anyways, if there is proper airflow in the case and it is applied correctly.

EDIT: besides, the switch to 64bit won't take long.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The current 64bit hardware is not going to interchange or be compatible with the newer 64bit technology components. It's a lot to spend for almost-outdated-before-it's-released parts. The 64s' configured properly destroy any Intel made at this time. Intel is getting ready to announce the release of their new cpus designed, hopefully, to compete with the current and upcoming AMD line. Get out your wallets. the next generation of products from both AMD and Intel will break the pockets of most consumers. The systems coming out now are already in the $2800 and up range. Kinda reminds ya of the good ol days in the late '90's, early '00 when the PII systems were $1500 to $3000 depending on vendor. The newest release of Widows to come out will only be an upgrade for XP. It doesn't do much except enhance security and make it so Windows AUTOMATICALLY updates WITHOUT you having any say so. No full 64bit Windows software is planned for release before 2006.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, lots of useful information here, appreciate it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.