Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's going on:

I have an ASUS K7M RM motherboard that had a 550 mhz processor on it. I changed it to an 850 mhz Athlon I just received today. When booting up it shows an 800 listed - instead of an 850. Any ideas? Don't know if you need any more info but here is some more:

ASUS K7M RM motherboard
850 mhz AMD Athlon Slot A processor
384 meg SDRAM PC133
Xpert 128 pci 16 meg video card
on board sound
52X cdrom
floppy
Iomega 250 zip drive
20 gig HDD

Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I got to thinking. The 850 mhz processor wasn't available when I built this thing. So I went to the ASUS website and got a flash upgrade for the BIOS. I rebooted, saved old BIOS (thank God), flashed it with the new one, and rebooted again. Well it was showing AMD(unknown) 850 mhz. GREAT RIGHT??? WRONG!! It would boot into Windows - would get to the splash screen and reboot by itself. Tried going into Safe Mode and it gave me Windows Protection Error - You Need To Reboot. So I flashed the BIOS back to the old one and am back up and running but still showing 800 mhz.

Truly anoyed!!!!

Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last message should have said it wouldn't boot into Windows instead of it would boot. Some more info too. I ran SiSoft Sandra - it says I have an AMD 856 mhz processor. But BIOS is still showing an 800. Should I not worry about what BIOS says and be happy with what I've got? Thanks for anyones time that can try and help me with this..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.