Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been helping a lot of customers and I hear it all. They almost always say its their ISP. They refuse its is their computers or router. Agressively refuse to try a direct connection into their modem. Not even knowing the speed they are paying for exactly.

So at what point after you have tried everything to figure out what is causing speed/wireless issues do you assume it must be the ISP?

Then how do you convince the customer as well?

After I have usually tried all of this:
Running netstat -b 5>activity.log to get a list of connected programs.
Running sfc /scannow
Checking the signal strength
Broadcasting the SSID
Disabling the firewall
Clearing the browsers
Checking for virsuses and spyware
Attempting a direct connection to the modem
Checking physical connections
Error Check under my computer
Defrag
a few registry fixes...

Then my way of showing proof are with several speed test like on speakeasy.com and testmy.net.

How about you?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

·
Registered
266 Posts
my answer when doing on site repair to your question is "can I hook my own laptop I brought with me to their modem, and still have the same slow speeds" if i can't answer that question with a "yes", then i'm on the phone to the isp, if i dont have slow speeds on their modem with my machine, then i'm back to the drawing board with their equipment.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As said in my post,

I was just wondering for those of us that are techs. When you are working with a customer or employee and this happens. After you have tried all of your technical checks. At what point do you start thinking it is their ISP and how do you get them to agree.

Its clearly in my post and I posted this exact same post on several other forums. This is the only one where it was not understood. :)

No biggie.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I assume it's the ISP when we've tested every other possibility that we can. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.