Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I first statup my computer in the morning the asus screen appears for about a second and then continues to boot up. However if I restart the pc later at night the asus screen stays on for around 5 seconds. Can anyone explain why this is?

I have a P5B Deluxe motherboard and Intel E6600 dual core processor.

·
Banned
2,664 Posts
try bootvis,first go to trace next boot and relays,when prompted re boot wait for bootvis to do its thing,check on log to see if any drivers causing hangups then bootvis trace and optimize re bootagain,do a system restore ponit first

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just done trace, next boot and driver delays and got 3 graphs in log. Disk I/O, Disk Utilization and Process Creates. Not sure what i'm supposed to be looking for. Can you help?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Since it's the Asus BIOS screen we're talking about, I can't imagine what anything Windows would have to do with this.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
supercoop06 said:
when I first statup my computer in the morning the asus screen appears for about a second and then continues to boot up. However if I restart the pc later at night the asus screen stays on for around 5 seconds. Can anyone explain why this is?

I have a P5B Deluxe motherboard and Intel E6600 dual core processor.
Windows XP was designed to boot from off to a "usable state" within about 30 seconds. This is fine as long as you don't have anything running in the background. If you have various programs like a third-party firewall, antivirus software, a couple of instant messaging programs an extra mouse driver, background CD writing software.

The short version is that a number of programs may be interacting with each other such that bootup and shutdown times are lengthened.

It doesnt happen the exact same way every time you shut down. no real particular order
fragmented drives can cause longer reboots. seek time is increased. ext.. best you can do is keep your drive/system well maintained

CodeStuff Starter manage your startup programs

Disable all startup programs that you "do not" need running at startup.

A guide to hep keep a smooth system.
Maintain your system with Windows XP

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Since a computer doesn't care what time of day it is think about the time in between. It would be roughly 12 hours either way meaning that it also starts in 1 second 12 hours after a 5 second boot. Looking at it this way means it's a normal rhythm for that machine. 1,5,1,5,1,5, etc. It could be that the board has discharged electrically between boots, who knows but I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.