Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a asus p2b 440bx motherboard with p 2 at 266mhz
i just bought a intel celeron 800mhz processor
when i installed it it made this ticking sound and comp wouldnt start...
please help me

·
Registered
12,041 Posts
email them first, flash bios if you have to. It's not fun the first or third time, still get sweaty palms when I do it.
If the flash goes bad the motherboard is basically trash unless your lucky.

Asus will have detailed instructions on how to do it.

Basically you make a bootable floppy, copy the extracted bin file to it with the flash program, reboot, and run the program.
If it goes bad it's doubtfull the board will boot up again with out reprogramming by asus.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that motherboard has an automatic voltage regulator(no voltage tweaks) which doesn't support anything under 2.0V, which would mean the highest you could go is a PIII slot1 512k cache katmai 600mhz 100mhz bus processor.

Also if you were thinking of using a pIII socket 370 processor and a slotket, it probably won't work. Even though you can set voltage on a socket 370 to slot1 converter, the processor will still not receive the correct voltage if your motherboard doesn't support the correct voltage in the first place.

I got some confirmation from BxBoards about the voltage.

I have previously received confirmation from abit about their slotkets and other slotkets not providing voltage regulation.

Still ask asus though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It depends on the board revision itself that determines what the P2B will support. PCB revision 1.10 and up should have no problem, but below that your not going to get any luck even with a new BIOS. I've build probably 100+ P2B based systema nd have dealt with all the PCB versions. To check your board revision, near the middle of the PCI slots, where the board model is printed, check to the right of it. You will see the board revision displayed there. Soemthing like 1.02, 1.04, 1.10, 1.14, etc.. If it's 1.10 and up, a BIOS update will make it work. Below that, and it's just a waste of time. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.