Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When attempting to update a replica database with the AddNew command I get an error message stating that the Metod is not supported on the replicated database. Do I need to try a different method for inserting a record or specify somewhere in the code that the db is a replicated type. Reading all the records and all other ASP pages retreive information from the db. Any ideas?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Is this an ADO project or an mdb? Which AddNew method are you using? Can you use AddNew in standard VBA outside of ASP to add a record? Do you have your references set properly in the db?

You're doing some stuff I've never tried, but I would still start with isolating the problem; my doc doesn't say anything about working with ASP and replication together, so I wonder if that's not the problem.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The project works fine on a non replicated db using the AddNew method. When not replicated all fields in the table are updated correctly. Have not tried to write anything outside of the ASP to accomplish the same thing. Could just be a quirk or limitation to ASP....it would be nice to be able to do this. Guess I could just do some basic forms in Access to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sorry to be a pain, but you're talking about four things at once.

If I understand correctly:

ASP AddNew on non-replicated mdb works fine.
ASP AddNew on replicated mdb does not work.

What about DAO AddNew on non-replicated?
What about DAO AddNew on replicated?

I'd try that first before giving it up for dead, as ASP is so close to VB, which is so close to DAO etc. etc.

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have it right. Programming an Active Server Page is a whole lot different that programming DAO. ADO is a subset of DAO and is a part of ASP. I really don't want to reprogram the whole application for such a small database. The whole replication thing could turn out to be more of a pain than it is worth as far as administering it and making sure the users are doing it correctly.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Actually, ADO is MS's replacement for DAO, and though there's no fear for now, rumor has it that DAO will eventually be phased out. What I'm asking is, have you tried just using either an ADO or a DAO AddNew method on the replicated db? The problem you're seeing in ASP could be inherited from ADO or DAO, rather than native to ASP, if that makes sense. But no, don't reprogram anything. I'd just test the adp file or the mdb file without the asp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.