Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question that doesnt belong in any particular thread? Ask it here!

ok...I have already googled this question that I have but still want other people's opinions about it.

I've been an insomniac for a long time now...am always tired and have almost fallen asleep at the wheel many times. I've taken care of that by running my errands early in the morning while i'm fresh and alert or at night, when I can leave the kids at home with dad.

My recent thing that scared me a bit is that I fell asleep in the bathtub the other night. I've always been a soaker and love my baths but this is the first time i've ever actually fallen asleep. I woke up and looked at the clock and saw that about 20 minutes had passed by. Its a big tub and the water comes up over your shoulders so you can be completely submersed while the jets work on your sore muscles (I suffer with chronic back pain too, which is why the tub helps)

Now my question is.....can a person really drown if they fall alseep in the bathtub?

Wouldnt you notice if your face suddenly hit the water? Some people say its only a danger if your drugged or drunk (which I never am) other people say its a danger if you are exhausted, which I am at night when I go to soak. Then again other people think that you'd automatically wake up if you slipped under.

So what do you think? Can you drown in the bathtub if you fall asleep from simple exhaustion or will you wake up?

LOL...i'm taking another long soak tonight since my back is acting up and I am really tired and I might be getting a cold so I am already stressing out about possibly falling asleep! :eek:

any opinions?

·
Registered
32,642 Posts
No i have a friend who only has to sit in a bath of water and he is asleep.. and you should hear the snoring..
It might be a good idea to take an alarm clock in with you and set for 10 mins and never have a bath when you are really tired if you are worried.. Is a shower an option ????

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
Hi Val! :)

I've fallen asleep many times in the bath tub...still here to post about it! :D

However...anything is possible especially if you're a deep sleeper...

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
angelize56 said:
Hi Val! :)

I've fallen asleep many times in the bath tub...still here to post about it! :D

However...anything is possible especially if you're a deep sleeper...
Thanks Mar. Nope, not a deep sleeper...I wake up over the smallest grunt out of Luke. But I do find myself falling asleep sitting up on the couch more and more while the family continues to talk and play around me....so maybe I am falling into a deep sleep and dont realize it.

·
Registered
32,642 Posts
valley said:
showers at night? ewww....they are only for mornings and only if you want to wake up! :D Nope...gotta have my baths at night. They are my salvation for my poor back when its aching. :)
I know what you mean..i love a nice hot bubbly bath at night chills me out to the core

Mr Bm has never had a bath in his life apart from that one time many years ago lol but thats a different story.. and we wont go down that road l

and my youngest son who is nearly 7 feet tall wont fit in one...:D

and my brother in law actually fell through the ceiling in his bath:D
and the puppy hates a bath ... and enough woman eat some choccy:D

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blackmirror said:
I know what you mean..i love a nice hot bubbly bath at night chills me out to the core

Mr Bm has never had a bath in his life apart from that one time many years ago lol but thats a different story.. and we wont go down that road l

and my youngest son who is nearly 7 feet tall wont fit in one...:D

and my brother in law actually fell through the ceiling in his bath:D
and the puppy hates a bath ... and enough woman eat some choccy:D
hehehe...how i'd love to be a fly on the wall at your house. :D

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
I can't sleep in my bathtub. It is too small for my big size and when I'm having a bath I must sit the chin between my knees. I just feel like a frog.

BTW, I don't have to worry for my son as he is taller than I.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MightyQueenC said:
My middle son always falls asleep in the tub, Valley and only once slipped under but with a nose and mouth full of water from snoring :p he woke up pretty quickly. :D
I shouldn't worry. :)
thanks Carolyn. :) I had a nice soak and stayed awake! :up:

and i'm very glad to hear that your boy never drowned! :up: :D

whew! So the thread is now open to all forthcoming hijacks until the next question comes along :up:

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
Did you see this Val???? :eek: :(

Investigators: Infant Dies In Bathtub

UPDATED: 7:05 am CST January 12, 2007

DEVINE, Texas -- A 6-month-old baby died while she and her mother were in a bathtub at a home in Devine, investigators said.

The mother, who had fallen asleep, woke up to find her daughter, Hailee Rose Guajardo, dead, investigators said.

Police said conflicting details make the autopsy report crucial to their investigation.

Devine Police Department Officer Christopher Andrews said they are waiting for autopsy results on Friday to see if the infant's death is due to drowning or sudden infant death syndrome.

"Whether or not the child drowned or didn't drown, or whether it was SIDS or not SIDS, the medical aspect will help us a lot,"
Andrews said.

Child Protective Services is also investigating, but neither that agency or the police department has had any prior contact with the family.

http://www.ksat.com/news/10727611/detail.html?subid=22100443&qs=1;bp=t

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
It only take a few inches of water in a tub for a baby to drown. Beside that a 6 mth. old doesn't have the ability to climb out by itself. Stupid mother... I say fry her arse.

Valley I've passed out in the tub ( back in the old days ) and am still here. Man was I cold when I woke up. Musta been a very long sleep. :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.