Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/03/29/russia.weapon.ap/index.html

Saw this on the news today. Started me thinking. How do you guys see the next few years playing out, in terms of actual conflict? Do you think any unexpected "hotspots" will take the spotlight off the middle east any time soon? Do you see a third world war coming not far off? Do you think any country besides the US will invade another country or spark a conflict? I have my own theories, but it would be interesting to see other peoples takes on this...If you've really been thinking about it, what are the major changes in tactics and strategy you foresee compared to conflicts abroad from the last few decades?

EDIT: Your own theories towards the ethics or history of human warfare are appreciated, too.

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
Isn't China supposed to be heavily involved in Armageddon? Take care. angel

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Such a wide array of questions being posed.

Third World War? Extremely unlikely to happen anytime soon. A lot of fundamentals about modern life (social factors, economic factors, etc) would have to severely change for a world war to erupt.

It's also very unlikely for a large conflict such as the World Wars to occur again (with the exception that it's possible such could return in a century from now, etc). Where there are two large sides, all fairly modern and equipped, to battle it out, with life or death for your nation as the outcome.

Most conflicts you will see for the time to come will be limited to operations against groups/organizations/etc (such as terrorists). They will also likely be limited (in the sense of considerable military involvement) of a group of nations against a particular nation.

Other nations invading another nation? Hard to say. I would say the more obvious ones at present being the potential for Russia wanting the glory days of the Soviet era (not that likely really), China invading Taiwan, India invading Pakistan/Pakistan invading India.

The Middle East will likely be a "hot spot" for the decades to come. Simply the amount of the problems and the deeply entrenched traditions/opinions/etc of the people in the region will take generations to resolve. For example, most of the racial climate here in America ended in the 1960s; most people in their 30s and younger are not racist (most), whereas there are still a good amount of racist people who are older (IE, ~50+). For things to change in the Mid East, things are going to have to change overall, and those changes will become clear and evident once that generation has been raised and grown up.

Other hot spots? Most likely would be China, Russia, Korea, India/Pakistan. But those are of course more limited to the more "near-term". Long-term? Can't really say; things are always changing.

·
82,160 Posts
I understand that China will have a 2 million man army by the time of Armageddon...I also hear they're pretty close to that 2 million! :eek:

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
A world war is a military conflict spanning two continents in which at least 20 countries participate in the attack against a common enemy.

I see some hotspots

Isreal/palestine
China and Taiwan
North korea attacks the US or South korea
India/pakistan

now 911 could be the beginning of world war 3 or us invading Iraq? Some say it has allready began.

The middle east
Wide spread conflict to take the entire region into flames of war, possibly caused by Iran or militants in Pakistan using North Korean Nuclear weapons

Isreal at war

China and Taiwan
if we got into it with North Korea , we would be stretched out too thin and perhaps China might take the oppurtunity to hit taiwan?

Iran
syria
ect....

I see it as highly likely that some freak with a suitcase nuke will unleash it here. The ramifications of this are terrifying to say the least. Or someone opening pandora's box and unleashing a pandemic or?

This new news you have presented may start up the Cold war again, But Russia being the Freaks that run that Government, anything is possible. They may just figured one day that they can take us out? We are making plans for that I am sure of it.

take two men and stand them in a room neck deep in gasoline and fill the room with 1 million matches

it only takes one to end it!

·
82,160 Posts
Russia and China will march over Jerusalem according also to what I've read!

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
that is if you believe the prophecies

which are questionable to say the least Angel

·
82,160 Posts
I know Armageddon is hard to comprehend or believe for those who aren't religious and don't follow the Bible....but it's all there in Revelations.....I just try to be a good person and help my son be the same so IF and WHEN the end comes....we will be in Heaven. The thought of my child dying at the hands of terrorists or a war is just too frightening a prospect! :( Take care. angel

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Sorry marlene. I think they mean a war of less Biblical porportions.

Possible future conflicts? Egypt/Ethiopia. I started a thread about it here but it has recieved little attention. It could be just another resource squabble except it seems Ethiopia is adamant about dammning the Blue Nile and Egypt has claimed they will bomb any dam built upriver from them. This is a sticky situation as far as international land claims, resource sharing and soveriegnty is concerned. Can a country really enter another soveriegn nation to prevent use of water in their own land?

·
82,160 Posts
Well post your thread addy here and let others see it and maybe it will get some attention this time Jim. :) Hope you're doing ok! Take care! Mar :)

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Sorry Marlene, silly moi! Here's the thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t196263/s.html

No, I'm not doing ok but hopefully things will get better over time. I've had what is easily the worst month of my life. I'm just trying to heal. I'm posting here mostly for a distraction. Hope you are better. Up on your feet yet?

·
82,160 Posts
Thanks Jim! Up on my feet with a two minute standing limit! Wow eh! :) A few more months to the knee replacement # 1! Depends on how the surgeon feels about operating on me with the history of blood clots!

Hang in there Jim! (((HUGS))) I'll read your thread after dinner! Take care of yourself and give my condolences to your Mom. Bye for now! Mar :)

·
Registered
34,269 Posts
It is so vague in alot of ways Angel
that is all I am saying
not disbelieving it, just questioning the accuracy of it.

but God left us to our own demise in alot of ways?
right?

·
82,160 Posts
Well the world didn't get in the poor shape it is in without the help of humans! Every country wants something they can't have...so let's ALL die in the end fighting.....and will we be any better off dead? WW3 can only lead to the destruction of our world.....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
angelize:

I don't believe I've ever welcomed you back to TSG yet :eek: :eek:. Welcome back! :)

Let's just say for the sake of this thread, that we leave out the "world is coming to an end"? This is to be of discussion in relation to modern and future conflict, not the supposed end of the world.

Also, where do you get that the Chinese are supposed to be involved in your armagedeon? Are the Chinese mentioned in the Bible as such? :confused:

Jim:

Nice to you in here. Perhaps a good around of discussion? :)

Hope your day has been good. Been pretty "blah.." on mine, lol... Though I will say, seeing "Dawn of the Dead" yesterday was a wonderful way to relieve oneself after a week of never ending work, lol...

Some points:

I don't think a war will break out between Ethiopia and Egypt. More than likely, it will be resolved diplomatically. Though, it will likely take time, as everything diplomatic does.

Russia? I don't think an eye has ever been taken off of them since the Cold War. Our military has plans in place for just about every possible conflict you could think of. Russia nuking us. Mexico invading us. Denmark invading us. etc... ;)

But honestly, I am concerned to some degree about Russia. Things aren't exactly "wonderful and friendly" between us and them. They still aren't exactly fully-democratic. There are concerns regarding Putin. I am concerned of the possibility of Russia attempting or wanting to bring back the Soviet Union, or something of such equivalent of that during its glory days (though I realize that such cannot just happen overnight, Russia doesn't really have the resources or ability to do that currently).

I am also concerned about North Korea. I mean, everyone realizes that the Korean War stopped because of a cease fire, right? Not a peace treaty. In technicality, the Korean War is "paused", not over. Why wouldn't N. Korea want to take it off pause? But really, I think a threat from N. Korea is really more of just blushing. Considerable concern however as their possible distribution of nuclear knowledge/materials/etc. But let's be realistic, Kim Jong-whatever isn't that far from being six feet under, and N. Korea is up for some change after he is gone, likely for the better. I wouldn't really be surprised for Korea to be united again within the next few decades.

My concerns on the Middle East have pretty much already been said. I think we will be seeing the worst of it for the next several years. But with our attention finally being put at that region, and as things start to change there and a more enlightended youth grow up, I think we'll start to see the Middle East modernize/develop/etc for the better. But I consider it more of a problem of generations, and that will take time. For the time being, it will be important to make the youth in the area not "anti-US", "anti-western values", etc. Otherwise, I think we'll be seeing the same thing for the next century or so.

India and Pakistan... don't really feel comfortable commenting. I don't really know much about that "hot spot" outside of the basics. But I think if Pakistan progresses towards the better (democratically, etc), and many of the prejudices shared by each culture (Indians generally have a prejudice against Pakistanis and vice versa) against one another subsides, things will probably be good.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Hello cyber, good to see you!

You said "I don't think a war will break out between Ethiopia and Egypt. More than likely, it will be resolved diplomatically." I hope very much you are right? But what attention is this being given by other nations? Is anybody "leaning" on those countries in a friendly manner, to discourage war and to persue a diplomatic solution. I think the media is doing a poor job by inundating us with the "Top Ten" hits (world conflicts) of the week and not giving the smaller hot spots exposure. Remember: a small hot spot ignored becomes a large hot spot out of control. I started that thread to show this up as a "little hot spot" but I guess it just isn't trendy enough. Oh well! :(

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Oops! Forgot to make another point:

Unless some rogue nation or extremests start a world conflict I don't think any large nation will, no matter what their politican ideology. All the large, developed nations (and I include China) have gone through their growing pains of nation building and Imperialist intentions. Most conflicts recently, though as horrible and bloody as they have been, are local events and don't have the strength or momentum to spill over to engulf a continent.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The oil runs out. The chemical industry collapses. Crops fail without fertilizers and pesticides. Not enough grain can be grown. The US and Russia have no surplus to sell. Other countries like China and the United States of Europe have no supply. Famine appears in the majority of developed nations who no longer are self sufficient in food.

Meantime the AIDS epidemic continues to decimate populations in the third world. Without the drug industry, (no oil), it takes hold in the developed world too. The pestilence cannot then be contained.

The need to address these issues causes the grain importing nations to rise up against the grain producing nations and fight a war over food.

The inevitable result of all of this is the death of billions.

Logical and the inevitable consequence of natural forces I hear you say? Hmmmm!

Now from what I understand two, the Black and White, go North; the Grizzled one South; and the other, the Bay, walks to and fro over the Earth.

That's a relief not to have to deal with all four at the same time isn't it. :D But which are which? :confused:

On the other hand there is a Greek pet shop called the Acropolis near me and the old owner, Nikos, has this very old book he got from a shop in backstreet Athens which he says has all of the knowledge of the ages in it. I read some scary passages I can tell you. The four hamsters of the Acropolis who come to lead us into Armadillo fair put the Willies up me! (English expression meaning scared me). I guess I've been so bad I'm expecting my own little black white and tan hamster to come looking for me! He represents "severe fungal infection" and should cause me no end of discomfort. ;) :D

Just joking really of course, keep positive now! :D

Back to the thread topic.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Jim:

I don't feel that Egypt, or Ethiopia, will result to war to dispute this. I don't think it is that heated of an issue for them.

Should war break out between the two over water? I don't think so. Sounds a little rediculous. But if either side feels so strongly about their position so as to go to war, then that's a decision for them to make. A sovereign nation has the right to pursue its self interest however it sees fit.

Who are we to decide which of those two has what rights to the water? That is their decision to work out. We should only involve ourselves in such conflict (war) if our own national self interest demands it (in this case, I don't see where we would have any).

But I think effort should be given in promoting some sort of diplomatical solution to the problem, and this should be prior to conflict. If that fails and they start shoot'in, then I think we should leave them to shoot it out among themselves.

Though I feel we have some responsbility to "police" the world within adequate reason, I don't feel we are here to play babysitter. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts