Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a new PC and I'm looking at hard drives. This machine is going to be for gaming, so I'm doing research on what hard drives to get. I'd like to increase the size of my storage because my current PC is always full. I have the raptors in my sig, would I be better off taking them to the new PC and putting them in a raid0 setup instead of buying a new SATA2 7200 rpm drive? (Also possibly in raid0). I guess my question is really, how much of an improvement am I going to see with SATA2 @ 7200 compared to raid0 SATA1 @ 10k?

Also, can SATA2 drives be used on a mobo compatible with regular SATA? Theres this really good deal going on here: http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148136 so I'd like to order that combo and place it in my current PC if it turns out that I'll be taking the raptors to the new one.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. It is possible to have a Raid0 with 3 or 4 HD's correct? If so then buying 1 more old Raptor should give me enough storage on the new PC if the old one is turned into a server of sorts. ...Also, is that relatively easy to do?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Cant tell you anything about setting up raid, dont know it. But sata2 hard drives have a jumper used to force sata 1 operation speeds from the drives. I have two 200gig maxtor drives set to run in sata one. Odd thing is the box label says they are sata 1, but the drives are both actually Sata 2 drives. Nice dollar savings on that mistake by Maxtor. Staples had them on sale for $59 each I picked up two that day.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...Staples? Was that on Black Friday or a normal day? Granted 400GB is less than 750, but I'd definitely chose to only pay 100 for 400 instead of 200 for 750, I don't think I'd greatly need 750.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Bear with me here but I'm confused, :confused: If you are already running out of space (my current PC is always full) why would you just take those raptors to the new machine? Won't you be in the same shape as now? So my question is, should we help based on NEW drives or keep the old drives in the loop?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Actually that was at the beginning of December and it was like a wednesday I believe.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
and yes it may have only been a short sale limited to on hand stock. But I check Staples, Office Max, and Fred Meyers at least twice weekly for these type of specials. Surprizing what you can get cheap. I got a Netgear WGR 614 V6 Wireless G router for $29 that wayjust a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
griffinspc said:
Bear with me here but I'm confused, :confused: If you are already running out of space (my current PC is always full) why would you just take those raptors to the new machine? Won't you be in the same shape as now? So my question is, should we help based on NEW drives or keep the old drives in the loop?
If the raptors are faster I will swap them over and buy bigger drives for my other PC to store everything else.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.