Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the economy the way it is, I was wondering how people are cutting back on expenses?

Me? Last summer I began using my bicycle as my main in town transportation. I retired and also quit smoking. Although I do use my car I find most weeks I am able to park it on Sunday and not drive it until Friday.

For the winter though I require fairly ice free roads and temps at least 30F. I will continue this activity as well as reduce restaurant purchases. We will probably vacation in the midwest rather than travel to the coast.

I found this of interest and gained the idea of this post from the article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/03/07/consumer.spending/index.html

·
Registered
17,353 Posts
I double up on sales items.
Also look for bulk sales. Like this week eggs were $1.79 a dozen...that beats $10 for the five dozen flat, so I got 5 dozen at the sale price. I am the cook, so the meals will revolve around these.:)

Also, I'm getting a no fee checking account. My fees are $15 mo. at the same bank. I have to change the account number, and also online at places it is entered, but it will save.

Triple plus paying all cc's on months of excess income. Their interest jump these past two years is ridiculous. I pay more in interest a month than I do in utilities and phone a month....

Already got rid of Direct TV....that was $70 plus dollars a month:eek: I don't need it.

Stopped eating out almost totally. Once a month, max.

I carpool with friends to do fun things, and shopping sometimes, too

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Yep... Been cutting back!

When going to town (about 12 miles one way) I now plan doing many things in one trip... Grocery shopping, Bank, Doctor's, etc. Gas prices..... no comment! Right now it's $3.35 per gallon here!

Eat out? What's that? Usually only a couple of times a month now.. compared to once a week or more!

Heat costs (propane) are awful! I have it better than some of my neighbors though.... I am paying $189.9 per gallon locked in... Some are paying over $2.00 per gallon! They'll probably get me next year though! So.... down comes the heat.... on goes the sweaters and extra blankets!

Food.... I've always looked for bargains and will continue to do so! And I use coupons!!!!

Vacation? Something local no doubt or within state! If at all!

Can't think of anything else right off hand!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I personally dont worry about it...I pay the Visa bill on time each month so as not to incure interest... I have automated withdrawl for things like my insurance, internet, phone, power etc..saves the hassel of running into town all the time to run errands.. I have a no fee chequing account and savings account..I did however trade in my SUV before Christmas to buya car to decrease my fuel expenditure..I live in the country and have to travel 30 minutes to work, so it made sense...Other then that I dont take pains with figuring out inflation etc...The moral of it all is that we will worry ourselves into oblivion about one thing or another if we choose too.

·
Registered
124,707 Posts
The only change I have made is cutting down on driving. I have a P O Box and go there every other day and grocery shop, etc. at the same time. I have always stocked up on sales items. I pay cash for most things. If I charge something I pay it off when I get the bill. One thing I do, and I always have done, is not go over the free minutes I get on my cell phone. Only in emergency! Most of the time it is turned off. Not much change at all for me.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot about the cell phone.....The business I had worked for provided me a cell with a gazillion minutes. Upon retirement I did not get one. Don't need it. Life caught up with me before the cell phone was invented, it tends to find me somehow now.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Sorry Joe. It is a different reality up here. With the economy hotter than a lava flow people are spending way more than they are earning. In the near future there will be a personal finance crash here that will equal the one south of the border. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
124,707 Posts
With the economy the way it is, I was wondering how people are cutting back on expenses?

Me? Last summer I began using my bicycle as my main in town transportation. I retired and also quit smoking. Although I do use my car I find most weeks I am able to park it on Sunday and not drive it until Friday.

For the winter though I require fairly ice free roads and temps at least 30F. I will continue this activity as well as reduce restaurant purchases. We will probably vacation in the midwest rather than travel to the coast.

I found this of interest and gained the idea of this post from the article: http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/03/07/consumer.spending/index.html
I am glad I don't smoke. For health and monetary reasons!!

·
Moderator (deceased) Gone but never forgotten
47,973 Posts

Yes, I eat out less, take public transit, and eat less!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
We haven't cut back. We have been in the paying down debt and saving for retirement mode for several years, so we were a couple of skinflints to start with. Actually we are planning to reward ourselves this year with a luxury canoe trip (relatively speaking) to the Buffalo river in Arkansas in September. Travel light and rent a luxury cabin, heat & air conditioning, satellite TV, jacuzzi tub, fireplace, full kitchen. Gotta spend that stimulus rebate to do our part. Our vacation in May will be the usual canoe/camping trip to Current river in Missouri.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am glad I don't smoke. For health and monetary reasons!!
I hear that, smoking is the best decision I never made, packs of cigarettes in Chicago cost nearly $9.00! I don't know that I could afford to smoke if I wanted to

I used to order out a lot, like several times a week, and go out for lunch at work. Now I just cook myself meals, can't even count how much money that has saved me

·
Retired Moderator
16,301 Posts
Can't say that much has changed on my end -- I hesitate at times when buying a gallon of milk. :eek:

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Sorry Joe. It is a different reality up here. With the economy hotter than a lava flow people are spending way more than they are earning. In the near future there will be a personal finance crash here that will equal the one south of the border. :rolleyes:
And I am cheap when it comes to spending. I also buy almost everything on sale and if it's a really good sale buy extra.

In this province you pretty much have to drive as our public transit sucks! So I use a gas station that at the end of the year gives us a rebate. I also drive a small car... our gas bill for a week is around $30 bucks. That's driving Jim to work, me to my job and picking up my mother in law in the afternoons. Also running errands as well is in that total... I think we do pretty good considering.

I also will buy a movie instead of renting.. it cost to rent, the gas when you drive to get it and the gas to return it, in the end it's pretty much the same price just to buy it in the first place.

We go out to eat or order in a couple times a month usually once a pay period. We used to eat out or order in a couple times a week.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Things here are not the same as Alberta...there is no influx of money in this province..yet inflation continues..I assume PEI and NS are the same..we are too close together not to be... We dont eat out much, but because we live in the country...I do grab pizza on my way home from work occasionally for the mere convenience of it..Home heating is probably one of the most intense expenditures here, that and gas...Because Natural Gas has not been here for long ( like maybe 1 year) it is crazy expensive and only available to cities...I guess we are fortunate, my husband works in Alberta and I here..we both have good jobs and dont think about it often.. I guess there are things we could always cut back on and use the extra to our savings, gic's or RRSP's. We pay into Children's Education plans. I dont think we are financially stupid..

·
Registered
10,798 Posts
Things here are not the same as Alberta...there is no influx of money in this province..yet inflation continues..I assume PEI and NS are the same..we are too close together not to be... We dont eat out much, but because we live in the country...I do grab pizza on my way home from work occasionally for the mere convenience of it..Home heating is probably one of the most intense expenditures here, that and gas...Because Natural Gas has not been here for long ( like maybe 1 year) it is crazy expensive and only available to cities...I guess we are fortunate, my husband works in Alberta and I here..we both have good jobs and dont think about it often.. I guess there are things we could always cut back on and use the extra to our savings, gic's or RRSP's. We pay into Children's Education plans. I dont think we are financially stupid..
No you aren't financially stupid by the sounds of things. :up:

PEI is regulated when it comes to gas and oil. But they are still pretty much the same with inflation. PEI also pays extra shipping because it all has to be taken to the Island.

This province is rich but you wouldn't know it by the amount of working homeless... it costs nearly 2grand to get a place and that's not including utilities and food... Then the rents are horrible. $1500 for a tiny little apartment. I am really glad we don't rent!:eek:

I would rather cut back on everything and move home to PEI but we just wouldn't be able to make it on the salary cut that would entail. You make good money here in Alberta but you also have to spend more to live here. Double edged knife...:(

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
............We pay into Children's Education plans. I dont think we are financially stupid..
My daughter is a first year college student. My wife and I have set aside enough money for her to finish through most of her senior year without loans.

She earned a ton of money in academic grants. She did not have her won car through hign school and I believe that benefited her.

Rather than her parents, "teaching" her the responsibility of earning money to pay for the car and expenses, she put more time into both studies and community actions resulting in more college financial recognition.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
No you aren't financially stupid by the sounds of things. :up:

PEI is regulated when it comes to gas and oil. But they are still pretty much the same with inflation. PEI also pays extra shipping because it all has to be taken to the Island.

This province is rich but you wouldn't know it by the amount of working homeless... it costs nearly 2grand to get a place and that's not including utilities and food... Then the rents are horrible. $1500 for a tiny little apartment. I am really glad we don't rent!:eek:

I would rather cut back on everything and move home to PEI but we just wouldn't be able to make it on the salary cut that would entail. You make good money here in Alberta but you also have to spend more to live here. Double edged knife...:(
We too have regualted gas prices..not that it helps..just means they can put it up or down on e time per week.!
Its true, We lived in Edmonton a few years ago...we felt we were no further ahead living and working there ...My husband works contract work so he is gone for weeks/months at at time..His accomodations are all paid for including his food ( thankfully because some places they ahve been a loaf of bread was over $5) We live here, its where we are from..My gf and her husband live in NE Calgary, they rent a townhouse, have been in it for almost 6 years, when they moved in the rent was $990/month in six years it has gone up to $2200 !!! Its not even that nice..but across the street they built a new subdivison which grew really quickly with high end homes...I love it out there..I go out to visit 2 or 3 times a year..Last year for our anniversary we spent 2 weeks in the Rockies...( of course I spent a couple days in Edmonton merely for the mall!) In November I went out to visit him, he was in a little town outside of Olds.... between Olds and Red Deer.. I loved Red Deer..Of all the places in AB I have been, it seemed the most economical...

1 - 20 of 151 Posts