Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. This seemed like a good place to pose my slowly-growing observation that many, many people are not working in the field they were trained for - by college degree, apprenticeship, etc. I, for example, got my bachelor's in chemistry and wanted to do forensics but am now doing marketing and computer support work. Doesn't fit at all except for the fact that I'm doing it for an engineering firm (ie, I've stayed in a scientific/technical field).

I'm curious as to how many other people have also gravitated far from their intended "dream job." I remember hearing that people change their careers 4 to 6 times throughout their life.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I entered my dream job approximately 5 years ago; RETIREMENT. :)

Seriously, after doing odd jobs (truck driving, construction, etc.) I went back to school for data processing (the term used many moons ago in the 60s) and was in the field for 30 plus years enjoying ever second. I started out in computer operations, then to programming, system analysis & design, auditing, and application support. After 30 years with a large corp. I reached my dream; RETIREMENT. :up:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bkdc - Congratulations! I _often_ dream of retirement . . . :D

That's fascinating and seems like quite a switch between fields. You really did find your area, tho, if you're retired and still into IT. You must have some great insights/stories w.all that's happened in the last 40+ years of computers. Do you miss your job at all?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Foundry = metalworking?

·
Registered
32,916 Posts
Yes............ i am a trained killer......... :mad: ...........teasing of course

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Hard to say if I'm doing the job I was trained for..

I seem to have been trained for alot.. :cool:

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
moonmist said:
Yes............ i am a trained killer......... :mad: ...........teasing of course
At first, I thought you said "testing of course." :eek: LOL

Topic: I am actually doing what I went to school for. I got a degree in emergency management with a minor in geography (mapping and earth sciences). I now have a job maintaining mapping systems for a 911 district. :up: I also have every intention of staying in this line of work. Luckily, I found something relatively early (22) on that I am passionate about. :cool:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ezymoney - I can see a slight correlation between them all being technical/mechanical. Good for you for knowing when to get out. I delivered newspapers once and loved being able to drive around and listen to music at work.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
moonmist said:
Note to self: Be nice to moonmist . . . :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gotrootdude said:
Hard to say if I'm doing the job I was trained for..

I seem to have been trained for alot.. :cool:
Renaissance man. Gotcha. :up:

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
Well I finished college as a Computer Analyst/Programmer. I currently work as a Computer Programmer for that same college, and was previously a Database Programmer for them...allthough I try not to do much actual "work"

ps It's not that I'm lazy, it's that so many projects get scraped, it's more productive to do nothing, than to work on something that will be thrown out anyhow ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DiSaidSo said:
I am actually doing what I went to school for. I got a degree in emergency management with a minor in geography (mapping and earth sciences). I now have a job maintaining mapping systems for a 911 district. :up: I also have every intention of staying in this line of work. Luckily, I found something relatively early (22) on that I am passionate about. :cool:
That's awesome. I'll try not to resent you for it. :D

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gibble said:
Well I finished college as a Computer Analyst/Programmer. I currently work as a Computer Programmer for that same college, and was previously a Database Programmer for them...allthough I try not to do much actual "work"
Hey, two of you still in your beginning area. It's nice to hear, actually.

ps It's not that I'm lazy, it's that so many projects get scraped, it's more productive to do nothing, than to work on something that will be thrown out anyhow ;)
LOL. That's called "time management."

·
Always remembered in our hearts
82,160 Posts
Dreamed of being a nurse...became a nurse....out on disability right now...but will return to nursing in the future! :) That explains why when I first saw your member name sle....I immediately thought of systemic lupus erythematosus! ;) :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Well i took mechanics all through high school and two years of university for specialty programs . Did a few stints at some local garages and finally a dealership . Got tired of simply replacing parts after a big red box with lots of wires told you what was wrong .......so ended up in the mining industry installing/repairing mine equipment until the collapse of that in my area ...so now i`m in a different career which unfortunately i cannot share .....so no i am not doing what i was trained for . ;)

·
Registered
489 Posts
sle said:
bkdc - Congratulations! I _often_ dream of retirement . . . :D

You must have some great insights/stories w.all that's happened in the last 40+ years of computers. Do you miss your job at all?
Funny, the big problems and the sleepless nights solving them was my biggest head ache but sometimes that what I miss the most. As for stories,I have plenty.
Technology advancements, unbelivable. I started out on an IBM 360/20 card system then we moved up to an IBM 360/30 DOS with mag tape & all :D (state of the art). There were very few error messages, computer operators had to read the panel lights which displayed register addresses, translate binary, hex, and dec, know how to wire & operate various EAM equipment, and know JCL like the back of their hand. etc. Programming was done in assembly language, RPG, & COBOL using card input & then came the dumb terminal with modem (24 baud).

I can go on & on but many out there don't know what I am talking about. The ones that do must be older than dirt. LOL
PS: My first PC was a Commdore 64.
There may still be some of this stuff in a museum somewhere.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Yes and no, Yes I am doing what I was trained to do, and my dream job, I always wanted to be a Policeman when I was small, No in that I am not doing my favorite part in Law Enforcement and that is a Motor cop, riding a Harley for a living, that would be cool.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.