Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-
I have an Atheros 5005G MiniPCI card in my Thinkpad R31. Sometimes, If I'm doing anything network-related using wireless, it will randomly lock up completely and won't come back out of its trance, I have to reboot it using the power button-the mouse and keyboard won't respond.

I know it's not the card because I tried it in a Latitude D500 (or something like that) for quite some time and it never locked up once.

It locks up on me very randomly, sometimes I can go an hour and it'll lock up loading a web page, sometimes I'll browse for something in the network 2 minutes from boot and it will lock up, but i can reboot and it'll browse that fine.

It locks up using WZC on XP Pro and now using the Atheros utility on Win2k.

It's driving me nuts!

It's not like anything heats up, the Atheros card is always cool to the touch and the CPU never goes past 130ish F (generally 100 or so in light use) even in the most demanding situations. If I'm using ethernet, it never randomly locks up. I tried an identical Atheros card (same chipset) from a friend's laptop and it too randomly locked up within a 1/2 hour of light use.

What could be causing this? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's all still going on.

I swapped the card with another Atheros (different chipset), the initial card is working fine in its new laptop, but the card I swapped it with does the exact same thing in my Thinkpad. Also, it crashes on several types of networks: WPA; WPA2; 128 Bit WEP w/ MAC Filtering,

Just a little bit too much network use (or suddenly using the network when I haven't) and it locks up completely. Sometimes it's as simple as opening a network drive, other times it takes a big file transfer to lock it up.

There are no IRQ or memory conflicts, and it works perfectly until it crashes.

I did play with IRQ settings in the BIOS, as Windows reported 9 things on IRQ 11, including the wireless card. I can only move around PCI devices in the BIOS, however, and haven't a clue what they are. Windows never reports IRQ changes that I make, everything remains in the same spot after messing around in the BIOS.

Still, after supposedly assigning new IRQs, it still locks up exactly the same. I reassigned everything to the initial IRQs for now.

Anyone have any ideas at all? Any suggestions would be VERY welcome. I'm completely at a loss right now!

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another bump...

I've tried tons of drivers on this thing and none are at all stable on this AR5005G card. It's driving me nuts.

Any ideas at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Somebody help please, i have the same problem.
My Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1075 is suited with an Atheros AR5005G as well. Now this one locks up my computer whenever i'm connected to my schools network (WPA-enterprise), but runs just fine at home (cable-based network)

Another thing is that it works just fine in safe mode, so i suspect the driver for ****ing it up.

Somebody please help me, i'm desperate (right now running in safe mode with network)

Best regards
Teri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.