Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a little hang on Defrag at 33% so I went into my applog folder and threw the files that it contained into the recycle bin.
Ran Defrag, no problems.

Here is my question, I rebooted and I still have an applog folder but it is empty, and it appears that it will remain empty (I'm asking).
Now I'm not sure if it is that I was supposed to delete the applog folder and all of it's contents or just the contents.

Everything seems to run Okay, but I need to know one way or the other. I was under the impression that if I delete the folder also a new applog folder would be made on start up. Is this correct?
I still have all the files in recycle so I can put them back if need be.

:confused: :confused:

DS

· Registered
3,012 Posts
You can delete just the contents. There's no need to put the files back. The files in the Applog folder are created by Task Monitor if it's running. I have TM unchecked in msconfig so it doesn't run. It's really not needed.

Microsoft's description of Task Monitor: "The TASK MONITOR tool included with Windows 98 records the disk access patterns of programs when they are started and stores this information in log files in the Applog folder. (c:\windows\applog) Task Monitor also records the number of times you use a program. Disk Defragmenter uses this information to optimize your hard disk so that programs you use frequently are loaded faster."

I haven't noticed any difference in the loading speed of programs with TM not running.

· Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kento,

Task Monitor made all those files? I have not used that for months, I have it checked off in msconfig as well.

I'll go ahead and dump the recycle bin tonite.

btw, I downloaded Spider and I like that alot, I had a ton of hidden urls I've since gotten rid of.
I guess I'm on a mission to strip down this 98se and at the same time not clean out too much, or too deep.

Thanx for your help, I appreciate it.

DS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.