Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone here has a Mac computer, can you please help me?

Can you go here , and tell me what you see?

Can you tell me if there are any page errors, and what happens when you hover your mouse over the button that says "The Driver"?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I've been told that on a Mac, it works fine in Firefox and Safari, but not with Internet Explorer.

Also, is there an easy way to run a website on various testing environments from a PC? For example, if I build a new website and want to run it on different PC browsers and then on a Mac and Mac browsers, is there an easy way to do that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Don't have a mac, but it definitely is way messed up in Opera on windows.

Partially because you don't have a doctype. The lack of one and a lack of a character encoding causes browsers to render in quirks mode, which will make things display IE-like, which you don't want.

example
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-us" xml:lang="en-us">
    <head>
        <title>An XHTML 1.0 Strict template served as text/html</title>
        <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
    </head>
    <body>
        code goes here
    </body>
</html>
Also, you include the Menu(Options).js twice.

There's probably other probems with the javascript menu.

Plus, there appears to be no css style the menus. That could be a problem too.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I've made a few adjustments.

I removed the extra "Menu(Option).js" link, and added the DocType.

As for the CSS, the styles are defined within the menu .JS files.

Can you give me your thoughts on it now?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The menu display is a little funky in IE too. The images don't always reappear when moving the mouse away from a certain spot.

Anyway, in my testing of your page/menu, putting the browser in standards mode is not enough to make it work in Opera though.

However, if I spoof Opera so the script thinks it's Internet Explorer, the menus will look more like they

Put simply, in it's current state, the script has bad browser detection and too many other problems to even use.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Start from scratch, do it with minimal javascript.

I don't have time to give you a solution, but here is a quickly slapped together example. (just view source.)

The point of the example is to show that you don't need all that scripting and browser detecting to make things work across browsers. It also shows that you can achieve almost the same look with just background color instead of using images.

The Drivers menu is partially implemented. (to make it disappear, move the mouse to the left of the gray box that drops down.

That's all I have time for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.