Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

My brother downloads a lot of very long techno songs that are mainly from Europe. He always has problems with seekbars in media players because the songs are so long and VBRI encoded, not just VBR. I tried doing some research through Google and found VBRI is a header for MP3s encoded with the Fraunhofer Encoder.

Anyone know anymore about this?

·
Banned
4,825 Posts
Basically I don't why anyone would be using VBRI or Fraunhofer for that matter. I can only assume it came from some 'official' program that didn't want to use the somewhat legally in limbo LAME encoder. He'll probably have to just deal with it as I don't think any players handle it very well.

He might try this app and see what happens.

http://www.willwap.co.uk/Programs/vbrfix.php

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother thinks it's used because the songs he downloads are not in fact a single song/track but rather whole albums, or multiple albums at times. These albums aren't really albums either though. :rolleyes: They're just mixes professionally used by DJs at clubs. They're not sold in stores or anything like that, which is why they're available for download. Due to the "professional" software the DJs use, it's possible the "somewhat-legally-in-limbo" LAME encoder can't be used. (I did not know it's not fully legal; that explains a lot.)

Windows Media Player surprisingly handles VBRI-encoded MP3s pretty well, not always though. Winamp does not, at all. And Real Player is random with them (e.g. some songs play entirely but end five seconds before they're suppose to).

Thanks for the link, MysticEyes, but I know about and have used before VBRFix. It fixes the problem but takes a very long time, especially with these enormous songs, to re-ecnode. Plus, it adds even more MB to these already MB-heavy songs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.