Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my WD 120gig drive died. It began clicking and then refused to boot. Lucky for me, I had just finished cloning the drive to a backup and had just reformatted it and did a clean install of Windows XP pro, no more than 2 days earlier.

After the clicking began, I left the PC alone for a few days and tried it again. It booted up. Stupid me, I thought the issue was just a fluke and continued to use it.

I kinda really don't care about the drive, though having to buy another one is not fun, but I downloaded some music onto that drive and would like to get them back.

Any ideas folks?

·
Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
That's the Click of Death, you should have arranged the funeral on the spot. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnWill said:
That's the Click of Death, you should have arranged the funeral on the spot. :D
Yeah but I'd like to get those last few files off the drive first.

I'll check the warranty later tonight. Thanks. Though any suggestions for some Harddrive Voodoo?

·
Premium Member
52,999 Posts
Trying letting it cool down for a while, it might work for a short time if you are lucky.

You could also try the freezer trick; put it in a sealed plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for a bit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Triple6 said:
Trying letting it cool down for a while, it might work for a short time if you are lucky.

You could also try the freezer trick; put it in a sealed plastic bag and leave it in the freezer for a bit.
Cool...I'll try that.

·
Super Moderator
46,745 Posts
Put it in a bag and try and remove as much air as possible from the bag. Leave it in the freezer for an hour or two. Place the drive in the system and boot. If the drive works, make an image file of the drive to another physical drive.

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.