Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one phone line into the house, the PC linked via an extension, therefore the phone is out of commission while I'm on-line. Lately I've missed a few important incoming calls while surfing.
Is there any method or software I can employ that allows my answerphone to pick up the calls while I'm on the Net so that I can call back later?
My telephone supply company - BT - feel a second line, which would have to be a divided line due to the remote location, would make my already slow internet connection speed even worse.

I have a mobile phone but unfortunately my house is in one of those poor coverage areas - if I lived just 200 yards away this query would not exist!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Mike C UK,

I don't know if this is available in the UK, but there is a feature here in the U.S. called 'Forward on Busy', which forwards any incommig calls to another number when a busy signal is detected.

There are many companies that take advantage of this feature and offer what is called 'Internet Call Waiting'. They provide you with a toll-free number to use with 'Forward on busy'. When a call is made to your number and it is busy, due to you being online, the call is forwarded to the toll-free number provided the 'Internet Call Waiting' company and the caller leaves a recorded message.

The company then sends you a message, using software you install on your computer, and you are given the option of listening to the recorded message while still online.

It all of course hinges on whether or not BT offers the 'Forward on Busy' feature and if any of these 'Internet Call Waiting' companies offer service in the UK.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks Ratboy.

I'll be contacting BT and others today to enquire about this service.
Knowing BT from old however, I am not expecting a definitive answer until I've made at least a dozen calls to their'help' desk.

Thanks again, I'll post back with the results - some day - for the benefit of others.

·
Registered
662 Posts
If voice mail is available through your phone company, then usually, it will pick up a call when your line is busy. Also, there are call waiting modems out there that work with call waiting from the telephone company to allow to get the incoming call without losing your internet connection.

·
Registered
601 Posts
hi mike
i also am on BT and use their free 1571 service, this is a simple ansa phone service that after 7 rings while your out or straight away while your surfing will switch callers to ansa phone.
you know when you have messages because your dialing tone is intermittent, then dial 1571 and retrieve them.

simple and free.

wen

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks one and all, but especially to you 'wen' - first prize.

Booby prize to me though.

How many times have I stared at the little box of electronic delights and let the innumerable BT adverts for this service waft serenely by, totally unnoticed?

Problem now is: how do I keep the debt collectors at bay after they leave their friendly little messages?

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I'm gonna be honest here and say that I really don't fully understand what you are all talking about.......

Let me see if I get the gist of it..... I'm on line, like say now posting to a thread.....someone tries to call me, but I'm online.....the caller in turn gets a 'busy' signal.

I opt to buy in or go to a service whereby in the same scenario the caller now gets an answer machine to leave a message, I turn receive a prompt that an incoming call was routed to a message center, I then have the option of going offline and returning the call.

Is this basically right so far?

Okay, here is what I really want I'm online same scenario as before, someone attempts to call me and my modem sences the first ring and puts up a popup message "You have an incoming call, or your phone is ringing, what do you want to do.?
[] Click here to go offline and pick up your call.....or.....
[] Click here to ignore it and send it to a message center?

Why do you suppose now, that they cannot do that?

If I had a dime for every time that I've heard.....

"I tried to call you, but your line was busy."

If the call goes to an answer machine at a messaging center then, I am sure the new thing I'll hear is .......

"I tried to call you, but you were online."

Million dollar idea here folks, any takers?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aha!
You obviously didn't get the message I left on your answerphone then!
Okay, here is what I really want....
The bad news is that BT did have a service that basically did just this. It was called Internet Call Waiting. They discontinued it in July this year!
Apparently some new service, Netburst - or was it Bratwurst? - I dunno. Whatever. But guess what, its something to do with broadband connectivity (ooohhhh!).

So here I sit down on the farm with about as much chance of getting ADSL as pigs have of getting ....... whatever pigs are least likely to get.
[Handkerchiefs as Christmas presents for their snotty little noses perhaps?]

Well that's enough of that. Down to the serious business of Tech help.

Dark Star needs to know how to remove snot, phlegm and coffee from his keyboard and monitor.

Don't ask me how I know, I just know see.

Its a duck thing.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Mike,

LOL, you're killing me 'ya duck 'ya. :D

"The bad news is that BT did have a service that basically did just this. It was called Internet Call Waiting. They discontinued it in July this year!
Apparently some new service, Netburst - or was it Bratwurst? - I dunno. Whatever. But guess what, its something to do with broadband connectivity (ooohhhh!)."

Yeah, see the story of my life, dang July this year huh? You mean I could have had it till then but instead Ms. Duck went south with another duck 'cause she couldn't get thru?

Dang, maybee I'm just quaking up the wrong tree. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cuando para mucho mi amore de felice corazon
Mundo paparazzi mi amore chicka ferdy parasol
Cuesto obrigado tanta mucho que can eat it carousel.

By the way Doyce my friend, Dark Star and me was wondering whether you'd seen Cool Hand Luke recently?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Signature turned a little </color>green at the mention of "Cool Hand Luke".
Just this morning, she had eaten two hard-boiled eggs for breakfast.
green smile
</img>
She belched once, none to lady-like, then dismissed the thought from her mind.

She'd noticed, of late, that everyone around her seemed to be conversing in other languages, such as Spanish, French, and Duck.
Trying to blend in with the others, Signature said to Doyce, "Oy! Mate!" in her very best London Eastender, (which wasn't very good at all, but it was the only 'foreign' language she knew).
"Clear out yer messages again, orright?" she asked him politely. "I've bain tryin' to send yew sump-ing!"

She saw Dark Star, waved up at him from below the other posts, and then ran off to look for a babblefish...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.