Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: i close down outlook express 6 and this stupid dialog box pops up saying "to free up disk space outlook express can compact messages, this may take a few minutes"

i click cancel, but everytime i open it,it happenes again.

if anyone knows how i can get rid of this message, please reply to my post:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you look under File in Outlook Express you'll see an item named Folder and on the fly-out you'll see Compact and Compact All Folders.

It's important for you to know that the Folders listed in OE are actually files by the same name with the extension of .dbx.

As messages are added to the Folders the file size grows but when messages are deleted the file size does not shrink. Compacting is like defragmenting, closes the gaps or holes left by the deletions. Could make OE open a bit faster if there's a lot of messages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
djoy88 said:
If you look under File in Outlook Express you'll see an item named Folder and on the fly-out you'll see Compact and Compact All Folders.

It's important for you to know that the Folders listed in OE are actually files by the same name with the extension of .dbx.

As messages are added to the Folders the file size grows but when messages are deleted the file size does not shrink. Compacting is like defragmenting, closes the gaps or holes left by the deletions. Could make OE open a bit faster if there's a lot of messages.
I recently had a disaster happen when I accepted this compaction offer
by OE. I lost many recent emails, ie from that day back to an earlier
date (Jan 2006).
I have tried several OE repair and recovery utilities to no avail.
Microsoft admit to this possibility which has happened to many people
before. There seems to be no recovery possible!!!
do you know of a solution?
Any solution to this would be extremely appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.