Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this system is bugging me. I run Win Xp with SP2 and every time I reboot my hdd light stays on.To get the sys to function properly I have to open the tray of my dvd writer and close again to get the sys to perform ok.

Sys layout is:

MB Foxconn 865A01
P4 3.0 CPU
1mb ram
2X120gb hdd`s
AOpen DVD writer
Plexwriter cdrw

Can anyone help with what appears to be a trivial matter but it bugs the hell out of me.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I know you are going to think I'm kidding...but I'm not!

Do one of two things:

1. Put a piece of opaque tape over the LED.

2. Unplug the LED HD lead from the MOBO.

This is a trivial matter and you shouldn't let it 'bug the hell out of you'.
Of what value is the indicator, when you probably can hear the drive anyway?

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
If I understand you symptoms right, it sounds like your computer is hung in a loop trying to read or write to the CD.

The only place I know where to start looking would be in Ctrl +Alt+Del .. applications and see if anything is running.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
If the system hangs with a disc in the drive then try reversing the Master and Slave jumpers on your two optical drives. Some drives prefer to be one over the other.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
As I understand her problem - the computer might be hung in a loop trying to read or write to an empty drive upon bootup and opening/closing the drive door clears the problem.

I wish I knew enough about the drivers to be able to tell her how to check them.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Another thing you could do is check the BIOS and take the cd-rom off the boot sequence (if it allows you to do that). Might fix it, but you'd need to switch it back if or when you need to boot off cd to re-install the OS or something like that.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I am here Rapunzel, but it seems I was too late...I knew that......
Cheers, qldit.

·
Trusted Advisor
21,439 Posts
If you were able to stop the problem by changing the BIOS boot sequence, you might be covering up a hardware/firmware problem in the CD-rom or a software driver problem that might haunt you later.
You might want to check out the DVD functionality now.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Good evening everyone, that was my thinking NOYB, but I bit my lip!
I was informed yesterday that many people are having problems with some DVD burners, doing odd things at startup. The reccommended fix in many of these instances was to place the DVD burner as master on an IDE with no other optical drives on that same IDE. There were odd problems happening as you mention, some associated with trying to boot from an empty drive and hanging..
I was trying to see if Rapunzel would let down her hair!
Cheers, qldit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.