Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Russia has just had theirs, so has Spain, and the US is next to go to the Polls. Ours is due soonish (reportedly in May next year) and compared to the others, the UK election could be a gloves off, bare knuckle, no hold barred or punches pulled scrap - and no ref.

The problem we have in the UK is that our parliamentary opposition - the Conservatives - voted with the government on its policy on Iraq. If the next year or so decides that the war was illegal the only political heavyweights with any experience of government who could legitimately give Mr Blair the "I told you so" routine are 2 of his own former frontbenchers - Claire Short and Robin Cook. They might get support on this from the Lib Dems and a loose association of smaller parties (SNP, Plaid Cymru, and the SDLP from N Ireland), but because of the huge Labour majorities of the last 2 elections this alliance would form a very small segment of the Commons.

Because the Conservatives supported the war (of which the long term legal and actual outcome is yet to be known) they're going to have a pretty tough time during campaigning for the next election. Any opposing candidate only has to look at pre-war editions of Hansard (Records of the constutional life of Parliament) to foil any potential Conservative anti-war electioneering. Labour Politicians now have the awkward task of convincing their constituents about the virtues of Mr Blairs recent meeting with Col Gadaffi - particularly those in Scotland mindful of Lockerbie. It also raises questions about his standing with the American people as most of the people in that plane were US citizens. And in amongst all this the only established alternative is a party that hasn't been in government since the days of Lloyd George.

Iraq has put our Political scene in an unprecedented position because the main opposition parties in Spain and the US opposed a very contentious foriegn policy decision made by their countries incumbants, ours didn't, - so Spanish and US Politics seem comparitively straight forward. Here - whoever wins the keys to Downing Street will have to fight for them in a way no one has ever done before! If our Political life could be seen as a human being I hope its constitution is up to it

·
Registered
8,765 Posts
Tough words, for a tough situation, Lighthouse.

Very well put.

B3, yes and that and the Euro are the next BIGGGGG problems facing the Pols!

I wonder just how long it is going to be, before the Soap Watching, ersatz Lager Swigging, mindless majority conform to Lincoln's Law:

(sic) Can't fool all of the people all of the time..........."

Paq
:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I understand that the Iraqi fiasco is the primary issue in Britain but are there any other issues that can override it. For instance, in the US, although a majority people are against Bush's Iraq, he still leads in the polls probably due to post 9/11 traumatic syndrome and the improving economy. Kerry has the same problem that your conservatives have --he supported the war. However, I am still amazed that he just doesn't come forward and say the war was a mistake and the only reason he supported it was that he was bamboozled (like the rest of us) by the faulty intelligence presented by the administration.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's all spin, I know for a fact the majority of what the public were fed wrt Gulf War I was absolute nonsence, as a family member was involved at a high level. I'd imagine the same applies to GWII as well.

As far as the whole WMD thing goes, why else would a country with more oil than anyone else (indications are that with the sanctions for the last 10 years or so Iraq now has more oil than anyone else in the world) buy a nuclear power station? Erm, weapons grade plutonium anybody?

Also, a thermonuclear device can be as small as a large Thermos flask, Saddam took ages to find and he is bigger and has to eat and drink (and therefore move around), what are the odds of finding a buried thermos flask sized devices (or several) in a country as large as France unless the person who buried it states where? None.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
The biggest problem for the UK Government is the fact that Britain is a signatory to a specific Hague treaty. The USA is not :eek:

Oldie

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Oldie:
Well you left the EU but the EU has come to you. Congrats if that is what you feel, if not condolences.
As far as the UK what about this Gordon Brown dude. Is there much difference or would the second verse be the same as the first?

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
plschwartz said:
Oldie:
Well you left the EU but the EU has come to you. Congrats if that is what you feel, if not condolences.
As far as the UK what about this Gordon Brown dude. Is there much difference or would the second verse be the same as the first?
Much the same Paul, much the same :(

Allow me to quote Albert (not TSGs Albert :D ) ... Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex, It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

Oldie :D

·
Moderator (deceased) Gone but never forgotten
47,973 Posts
Well, if you were wondering if the US elections will be tough, I'd say yes. Although I think most people now know in their hearts that Bush lied, they still have tow dilemas to resolve.
How do they admit they wrongly followed him?
and do they feel safe switching presidents in the middle of what Bush started in Iraq?

I think this is a tough call for many people. If I were to guess who would win based on the people I talk to, Kerry would win by a landslide. Granted, I don't hang with a group that is representative of the whole country. ;)

·
Registered
434 Posts
It sounds as if B3gbie might be giving some credence to the wmd theories. The thing is that the divice, no matter the size, needs a factory and a scientific infrastructure in order to be produced. The fact is that neither of these things have been detected. Hussein was/is a megalomaniac. He would pursue a nuclear fission project because he could. The question is, of course, would he be successful? The answer is no.
Americans have a regrettable habit of supporting a show of force because we know that no one can resist the onslought of our military. Victory in the short term is guaranteed. We are, however, civilized to the extent that we can feel shame for our bulllying, but it's another type of shame that keeps us from admitting our mistakes and packing it in.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts