Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all please do not deride me because I am using windows me.

I visited a particular site which was not to my taste and as soon as I saw it, went back a page. Now every time I start Internet explorer (version 6.0.2600.000015) I am taken to this particular site. I can re-set to my home page but the next time I start internet explorer it has been reset to this offensive page.

I have run regedit.exe and gone to HKEY_CURRENT_USE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\RUN and found c:\windows\regedit.exe/s c:\system32\and think the offending file is here.

How can I delete or change this file to enable me to be rid of this intrusive website, so that i can set IE to my home page permanently?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have adjusted and reset to my home page, but there is just one small niggle. When I click on the search icon and the window opens up the offending site appears and all my settings are back to the offending site.

In regedit.exe I have found- just above the start page settings-that the the search setting also have the offending page as the default. It will be a simple thing to reset if i knew the default for microsots search engine/page. can you advise so i can be finally rid of this curse. many thanks.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I have cleared the problem.

I went through every folder in regedit and every time I found the offending site I changed it to my home page, including all references to search start pages, which means (I hope ) that if I click on the search icon on the tool bar it will open to my home page. I have not tried it yet as I seldom search using microsofts facilities but so far everthing else seems to be fine,

Many thanks for your help and advice. I admit I do visit sites where this sort of thing is could possibly happen again but your pointers lead me to think that I will be better able to rectify things in the future.

Thankyou again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.