Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi this is just a question just out of interest as I am just learning about computers.......... I bought a new PC with an AMD64 3000+ and got home to discover it is 2ghz, (I went out to buy a 3ghz machine so it shows you how much I know) so I was considering taking it back and exchanging it for a P4 3ghz but a few of my mates told me the AMD is just as good. So here are a few questions.............
Is it just as good and if so why and if not why not?
Is it as fast?
Will it be good for a year or 2 yet?
I noticed in TRIPLE6s' signature it said "AMD XP 2500+ @ 2333Mhz / 424 Mhz FSB" does this mean that they can be over clocked. if so how do you do it and is it worth it.
I ask these questions just to educate myself on these things as I am keen to learn about PC's............ any info would be great.
Many Thanks in Advance.................

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
The AMD 64 3000+ has a true clock speed of 2.0Ghz - that is correct. AMD has been using a comparitive model system based on Pentium 4's for a few years now. So what they claim is that its just as fast as a Pentium 4 running at 3.0 Ghz. Now in some cases the Pentium 4 3.0Ghz outperforms the 64 3000+ and sometimes its the other way around. Also note you also have a 64 bit CPU while the Pentium 4 is only 32 bit(for the most part).

Any CPU can be overclocked but you would the void the warranty. Overclocking can also lead to heat issues and instability. You have a fast system and I wouldn't be concerned about overclocking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
triple6 a most enlightening reply, if you don't mind me hijacking the thread for a moment.

I just built a system with an AMD 64 3000 newcastle (socket 754) on an Abit mobo and have the option to overclock on the fly via the supplied utility within windows.

Is it really not worth the risk or hassle of trying?

Thanks, and my apologies again for butting in,

AndyB :)

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Well thats a suppposedly safe way as it does the monitoring and adjusting as necessary. Have never tried it myself yet and have no idea how well or what gains are actually achieved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I'm up for trying it, how is the best way to tell if it has or hasn't worked? Is there a simple method other than the multiple benchmarking programs we see quoted everywhere?

Thanks for the response,

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cheers triple6, and hopefully this might help Chord the original poster, too.

Watch this space,

AndyB

·
Registered
8 Posts
as a guide use the amd wording on there cpu's in a simular way to intel
amd 64 3000+ = 3.0GHz
amd 64 3200+ = 3.2GHz
amd 64 3400+ = 3.4GHz

aleast this way u can get an idea of there speed

·
Registered
31 Posts
kav81uk said:
amd 64 3000+ = 3.0GHz
amd 64 3200+ = 3.2GHz
amd 64 3400+ = 3.4GHz

Ahem, thanks there Kav, very enlightening, I'll be sure to check that out :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
kav81uk said:
amd 64 3000+ = 3.0GHz
amd 64 3200+ = 3.2GHz
amd 64 3400+ = 3.4GHz

no this isnt right. i too bought the AMD 64 3000+ on the ussumption it was a 3ghz machine, but when i ran certain programs to analyise my hardware i got a shock. i discussed this with a couple of people and did find out it was a 2ghz machine as i had found. and Triple6 has confirmed this.

do not get this confused. 3000+ does not = 3ghz.

Late,

PS. another thing, i havnt noticed much of a performance difference on this machine compared to pentiums. yes its faster then a few machines, but i always thought that being 64bit, even running 32bit apps (which is the current standard still) that because it being 64 it would be able to process these 32 bit programs a heap faster...? whats the real deal with all of that...

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
When 64 bit Operating Systems and 64 bit software comes out thats when the AMD 64's will shine. There are Beta's of WIndows XP 64 out as well as Srver versions of Windows already out. Linux also has distrubutions that support 64 bit processing. However the 64 bit systems do offer to 32 bit computing benefits; Hypertransport and built-in memory controllers, the ability for 32 bit programs to use a full 4GB of memory, larger and faster caches(on some models versus other processors), limited CPU virus proitection features, and so forth. I'm not sure why you'd think there'd be a big difference versus a Pentium 4 or AMD XP of roughly the same speed. Honestly I have trouble noticing the difference between a Pentium 4 at 2.4 Ghz versus a 3.2 GHZ with HyperThreading with regard to daily use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
chords said:
Thanks guys...........
"and have the option to overclock on the fly via the supplied utility within windows." What is this utility?
Chords, if you buy the same mobo as me, an old-ish technology Abit KV8 socket 754 you will get the utility with the mobo, as I did. It's a good system, it runs perfectly, I just haven't had a chance to explore the overclocking bit yet, as I have other more pressing issues :(

HTH,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.