Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can never get the ram to work faster than the FSB speed of your mobo,
right ?
But i notice that the FSB speed of these AMD processors are very low
(From 100 up to 200 mhz)
does this mean that my 400 DDR ram will work at these lower speeds
(if i changed mobo and cpu from intel), or have i missunderstood something...?

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Some boards allow you to set ram speed asynchronously. An intel board is made for stability and does not give a lot of options.

If you are using an intel chip, go with an asus mb. It will have the above mentioned option. If you are using an amd chip, good brands are asus, abit, soltek. As long as you stay away from cheap mb, you should have this option.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
dobbelina said:
You can never get the ram to work faster than the FSB speed of your mobo,
right ?
But i notice that the FSB speed of these AMD processors are very low
(From 100 up to 200 mhz)
does this mean that my 400 DDR ram will work at these lower speeds
(if i changed mobo and cpu from intel), or have i missunderstood something...?
Wrong. I don't know where you got that idea. Since Socket7 and K6-2 processors back in the late 1990s, you have been able to run the RAM faster or slower than the FSB.

FYI, the clock speed of DDR400 RAM is 200MHz, which is the same as the clock speed of an 800FSB P4, or a high-end AMD AthlonXP (e.g. 3200+) CPU, among others.

·
Registered
834 Posts
crjdriver said:
Some boards allow you to set ram speed asynchronously. An intel board is made for stability and does not give a lot of options.

If you are using an intel chip, go with an asus mb. It will have the above mentioned option. If you are using an amd chip, good brands are asus, abit, soltek. As long as you stay away from cheap mb, you should have this option.
Why does no one ever mention Gigabyte as a motherboard brand... they're very good.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Clumbsy_Mage said:
Why does no one ever mention Gigabyte as a motherboard brand... they're very good.
I have used them. I do not mention them because IMO they are not on the same level as asus, abit, or soltek.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Arcadion said:
Wrong. I don't know where you got that idea. Since Socket7 and K6-2 processors back in the late 1990s, you have been able to run the RAM faster or slower than the FSB.

FYI, the clock speed of DDR400 RAM is 200MHz, which is the same as the clock speed of an 800FSB P4, or a high-end AMD AthlonXP (e.g. 3200+) CPU, among others.
Ok, thanks for that clarification.
So what does the "400" stand for ?
Someone told me earlier that using a mobo with a FSB, of let's say 266, would be the maximum speed that the ram could operate at. I guess he was wrong then....

·
Super Moderator
43,953 Posts
crjdriver said:
Clumbsy_Mage said:
I have used them. I do not mention them because IMO they are not on the same level as asus, abit, or soltek.
Agreed, I have had nothing but problems with Gigabyte's mobos.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.