Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
garypoet said:
My sister has a GA-7ZM mobo with 800mhz CPU and wants to upgrade the CPU to something higher than 1.5Ghz.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=1366

I'm unsure if it will support an (AMD) CPU above 1Ghz - along with its current sdram (168pin).
If i just upgrade the CPU will this be ok?

All help appreciated.
Thanks.
AMD™ Athlon™ /Duron™ (K7) Socket A processor (256K/64K 2nd cache on die)
Supports 500MHz ~ 1GHz and faster
100/110*/115*/120*/124*/133* MHz FSB
(*Support by over-clocking)
AUTO detect CPU voltage

LOL well that's not real specific on the actual limit.

Look this is a socket A motherboard. Your going to pay a high price for a socket A cpu that is going to be pretty much obsolete.

My suggestion would be save you money something around $200 or so then we could hook you up with a 64 bit AMD, new mobo and 1 stick of 512 DDR. that would be the best option for her. cause you would not see hardly any improvement at all by just adding a cpu to the current system. (By the way would also need to add a new os, you could go OEM unless this is not an issue)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Like you say, not very specific!

I realise a full upgrade would be a better idea - but she's not interested enough to put in that kind of money(!)

Her budget would only stretch to about £40 ($80) at the most - hence the single CPU upgrade, without a new mobo.

I was concerned about a faster CPU being compatible with SDRAM. I thought maybe higher speed CPUs needed DDR RAM?
Or would it be a COMPLETE waste to use it alongside SDRAM in the old mobo? (800mhz up to 2Ghz= 2.5x faster?) I realise this is sacrilege to your average techie(!)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Well you are limited to a 133 FSB another words it would work like this.
Here is a chart
AMD - Athlon - Thoroughbred

You would see a small improvement by adding the fastest CPU you can but you are really limited with sdram and socket A period.

I still would suggest saving a few more months and get something worth while

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.