Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I sorta posted something like this before where I can allow my HDD to become my actually My Music, pure shell folder and all. In hearing about the new HDD of 10000rpm I would like to have my 10000 rpm for windows and other software, while my 500 GB 7200rpm can be the My Documents and therefore all files will be stored there properly. Reason for this would be convenience. How can I manipulate Windows to do this?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Create your "new" My Documents folder (or whatever you wish to name it) on the drive that you want. (Or *copy* your current My Documents folder to the new location.)

Open regedit.

Navigate to: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.

In the right hand pane, change the "Personal" key value to your new drive/folder. ie; X:\newfoldername, or X:\My Documents.

If you copied your original My Documents folder, once the system has been rebooted (to accept the new location), you can delete the old folder.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Right click my documents , choose properties, click on MOVE
Follow the prompts.

Personally I do not recommend doing that, I would just make a "my files" and "My downloads" ect folder on the second drive and then do the right click / send to desktop (create shortcut) and cut and paste the shortcuts into the my documents folder .

This way you leave windows happy, leaving your my documents folder where windows put it to begin with , but you have additional storage and can move the contents to another drive and just leave shortcuts to them in the my documents folder.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have my Desktop, Favorites, and "My Documents" (renamed to The Dump* as that's where many default downloads like to go) on two different partitions on a second hard disk. No problems, ever.

(*Even though the folder has been renamed, the "system" still sees it as "My Documents". So anything that wants to go to My Documents still goes to the renamed directory.)

I tried to attach a screenshot of regedit and Windows explorer showing the changes but it keeps timing out. - ICAP error.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
As Dan says, the process is really seamless, on all the systems I've ever established that way. I used to use TweakUI but then I discovered all I had to do was right click and hold , drag and drop (move) My Documents and My Desktop (requires log out and back in to set correctly) to a second drive or partition and Windows registers the new location like it was there forever. Only the occasional program that works outside the explorer shell will think the location is where it traditionally is but they are easily corrected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.