Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I did an econo build two weeks ago just for general use, no gaming or anything demanding.
ASUS CUV4X-E motherboard
Pentium III 1GHz
384MB SDRAM 133MHz
Quadro2 Pro 64MB AGP4X video card
VIA Apollo Pro 133a Chipset
Windows XP Pro SP2

The system works great and I haven't had any problems EXCEPT the AGP is running at 2X when the motherboard and video card both support 4X.
In the BIOS AGP4X is selected.
I have the latest Nvidia drivers that work with this card (71.89)
I flashed the BIOS from Award 1002 to 1005E (which was supposed to fix this)
Installed VIA 4-in-1 chipset driver version 4.56

I'm not having any video problems, but I bought this video card (old as it is) to match the motherboard for AGP4X capability.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

There is one newer BIOS update on the ASUS site, but it's a Beta and the thought of a Beta BIOS flash sends chills up my spine! :eek:

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Don't worry about it.

The video card and mobo combo you have DO NOT tax the AGP 2x speed, much less 4x. If you were talking AMD64 with an ATI9800 or GF6600, then you should be concerned.

The older hardware didn't always kick in at 4x speed. You won't gain anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Lol. A Beta bios flash would send shills down my spine too. I am guessing that the problem lies with support problems in the motherboard still. Although you flashed the bios to fix the problem it doesn't necessarily mean it worked. Not all drivers work the way you want them to either. I would wait for legit version of that Beta upgrade to be released.

Maybe someone else has a better idea to help you out but that the only idea I can think of.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
The ASUS CUV4X-E is a VERY VERY old motherboard - there will not be anything updated for it, ever. This board is about 6 years old, and if its running stable - no need to chance screwing things up for minimal performance increase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.