Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if AGP Pro is the same thing as AGP 8X?

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Hello chicken dude! :)

I found this, if it is any help:

AGP Pro had been released in April 1999 to provide that necessary power and consequent cooling to a computer system. The AGP Pro Connector is fully backward compatible and offers additional pins at the front and the back of the connector.

Like the AGP slot, the AGP Pro slot comes in different versions, which are AGP Pro 3.3V, AGP Pro 1.5V and AGP Universal. The first two have blocking pins to prevent insertion of an unsupported AGP (Pro) card. All the motherboards with AGP Pro slot that we reviewed so far are using the AGP Pro Universal slot.

The current AGP slot can supply up to 25 W to the graphics card. With the two additional pins, PRSNT1# & PRSNT2# , the AGP Pro cards report its power requirements to the motherboard. An AGP Pro slot can provide a total of 50W or 110W.

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello pyritechips :)

Oh dear, now I'm even more confused than before... :p

Looks like I better do some reading on this subject ;)

·
Registered
419 Posts
sounds like agp pro is agp

·
Registered
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it's different. It has more to do with the slot design.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
26,895 Posts
Hello again:

From what I understand, you can use an AGP card in an AGP Pro slot but you can't use an AGP Pro card in a AGP slot (except for the Universal format).

It seems that AGP Pro allows for much higher wattage levels, 50-110W compared to 25W.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.