Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFVxD errors while surfing the internet with cable modem

817 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Linkmaster 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
I have a small problem: I have a cable modem and once in a great while I get a Fatal Exception error in AFVxD. Anyone know how to correct this. Any help is appreciated. When I reboot everything is ok. Running Win 98 SE. 466 HP

#2 ·
Hiya

Doing a search, it seems to be part of Winsock. You could try extracting a new version from your Windows CD using SFC. Locate wsock32.dll and rename to wsock32.old.

Start>Run, key in SFC and press enter. At the bottom of the dialog box select "Extract one file from the installation disk". Now key in Wsock32.dll and click on Start. Insert your W98 CD or obviously skip this step if your W98CD is loaded on the hardrive. If the "Restore From" box is empty, click on Browse and point it to the Win98 folder on the W98 CD in your CDRom drive or if you have no W98 CD try c:\windows\options\cabs. The "Save File To" should already be defaulted to c:\windows\system. Click on OK to restore it. You'll be prompted to backup the current one, just take the defaults. Then follow the prompts to restart the PC so the new copy of the file is loaded

If that dosen't work, let us know.

Regards

eddie

#3 ·
Hi eddie5659,
Thanks for the help! After I posted this I looked myself and Microsoft has a fix just for Cable Modems. It does involve WinSock2. They recommend deleting it from the registry. Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.