Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was trying to fix a computer that belongs to a friend of his girlfriend's family. After doing some basic cleanup, getting rid of unnecessary garbage in startup and so forth, he installed SP3. The computer is an older IBM ThinkCentre desktop running XP Pro. It has an Intel VE network adapter. He did not find any viruses or malware on the computer via several scans.

After installing SP3, the Internet - which worked fine beforehand - would no longer connect. We get limited or no connectivity whenever we try. I will note that on occasion, it will connect after disabling/enabling the adapter a few times, but only once, and it goes back to not working on restart.

Here are the things I tried:

- Every combination of resetting, refreshing, disabling/enabling the firewall, router, modem, and adapter.

- Running Winsock XP Fix

- Trying the computer hardwired into the modem (no router)

- Reinstalling, updating and rolling back the network adapter drivers

- Installing a second network card with fresh drivers to see if that worked (it did not)

- Checking all of the necessary services, starting and restarting the Internet Connection Sharing service (I'd heard of problems related to it after SP3 installs)

- Setting up a static IP both with router and no router

- Setting up JUST static DNS servers and leaving the IP on auto

- Doing a dance to the computer gods

- Uninstalling SP3 and reverting to SP2, then trying all of these things again.

Barring a Windows repair or reinstall, which I would like to avoid, does anybody else know of a solution to this problem? The computer will pick up an IP address, but the subnet mask is wrong, the default gateway is always empty and it does not acquire DNS servers. Pinging does not work as it is unable to resolve any host names, and tracert goes nowhere. Even when on limited connectivity, we are unable to connect even to the router setup IP. What irritates me the most, though, is that it will periodically work for no reason after a restart and disabling/enabling of the adapter.

I'm stumped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John,

I actually had already tried the netsh reset. I'd just done so many different things, I probably forgot some of them. It didn't do any good in this case. The computer is only able to ping one address, 127.0.0.1. Anything external cannot be resolved, including the gateway, DNS servers, or web addresses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.