Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was trying to fix a computer that belongs to a friend of his girlfriend's family. After doing some basic cleanup, getting rid of unnecessary garbage in startup and so forth, he installed SP3. The computer is an older IBM ThinkCentre desktop running XP Pro. It has an Intel VE network adapter. He did not find any viruses or malware on the computer via several scans.

After installing SP3, the Internet - which worked fine beforehand - would no longer connect. We get limited or no connectivity whenever we try. I will note that on occasion, it will connect after disabling/enabling the adapter a few times, but only once, and it goes back to not working on restart.

Here are the things I tried:

- Every combination of resetting, refreshing, disabling/enabling the firewall, router, modem, and adapter.

- Running Winsock XP Fix

- Trying the computer hardwired into the modem (no router)

- Reinstalling, updating and rolling back the network adapter drivers

- Installing a second network card with fresh drivers to see if that worked (it did not)

- Checking all of the necessary services, starting and restarting the Internet Connection Sharing service (I'd heard of problems related to it after SP3 installs)

- Setting up a static IP both with router and no router

- Setting up JUST static DNS servers and leaving the IP on auto

- Doing a dance to the computer gods

- Uninstalling SP3 and reverting to SP2, then trying all of these things again.

Barring a Windows repair or reinstall, which I would like to avoid, does anybody else know of a solution to this problem? The computer will pick up an IP address, but the subnet mask is wrong, the default gateway is always empty and it does not acquire DNS servers. Pinging does not work as it is unable to resolve any host names, and tracert goes nowhere. Even when on limited connectivity, we are unable to connect even to the router setup IP. What irritates me the most, though, is that it will periodically work for no reason after a restart and disabling/enabling of the adapter.

I'm stumped.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Connect with a wired connection and post the following results after the restart.

Try these simple tests.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous IPCONFIG command output! Do NOT type <computer_IP_address> into the command, that won't work. Also, the < and > in the text is to identify the parameters, they are also NOT used in the actual commands.

Do NOT include the <> either, they're just to identify the values for substitution.

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

<computer_IP_address> - The IP Address of your computer, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<default_gateway_address> - The IP address of the Default Gateway, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

<dns_servers> - The IP address of the first (or only) address for DNS Servers, obtained from the IPCONFIG command above.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey John,

I actually had already tried the netsh reset. I'd just done so many different things, I probably forgot some of them. It didn't do any good in this case. The computer is only able to ping one address, 127.0.0.1. Anything external cannot be resolved, including the gateway, DNS servers, or web addresses.

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
  2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
  3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

And I still want to see the results of this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.